Make Noise Strega

Really really loving strega!

Im using my keystep pitch to strega v/oct but im wondering if there’s a configuration to have keystep gate work for note length? Or must i drone no matter what!? Im not a modular guy at all if it isnt already obvious😜

2 Likes

You should be able to have gate go into activation and have gate act as note on off. If you want a less jarring activation send gate into the strega envelope and then send that to activation.

4 Likes

Ok thanks @bwo this sounds promising. I shall try tomorr morn.

Yes this is working mostly how i want it thank you. And now that i have the option, it doesnt sound that great! Makes it like a regular synth haha. The drone is the charm.

Yeah it can be fun to mix drone and gate for swells and such

1 Like

I don’t have either the Strega or Lyra 8, but I find that music made on the Strega is often interesting and listenable, while (nearly) every piece of Lyra 8 music I’ve ever clicked on is unbearable. The Lyra takes up way too much of the frequency spectrum.

1 Like

Interesting…ive only listened to lyra a little but what I heard wasnt as melodic either.

Indeed, to my ear Strega is a very nice balance between noise and melody.
Since I must not acquire new gear, I have tried to approach such atmospheres with the A4, and found some interesting sounds in the journey…

9 Likes

Got some glow cables and strega sequence :bug: :bulb:

5 Likes

7 Likes

Hi,

Just got a Strega and already need some help.

What cable do you use to connect the Strega to your audio interface (mine is a Motu M4)? The manual says:

“Line/Headphone Output: TRS Stereo Audio Signal, 3Vpp”

Does that mean a cable like this one CFY WPP or this one CFM WV ? As far as I know the Strega is a mono machine so I wonder why the manual talks about stereo signal. I’m using a 1x 1/8" mono to 1x 1/4" mono (mini-Jack mono to Jack mono without split) at the moment but maybe it’s a mistake… Please help.

Another question: I have a QuNexus Red with the cable set which includes all the necessary cables and adapters to convert MIDI to CV or CV to MIDI using the QuNexus and I’d like to know what do I have to plug in where.

The cable set includes:

• 1 cable stereo jack male 3.5 mm (angled) to stereo jack 6.3 mm female
  • 1 cable stereo jack male 3.5 mm to stereo jack 6.3 mm female
  • 1 cable stereo jack male 3.5 mm to 2 mono latches 3.5 mm female
  • 2 cables stereo jack male 3.5 mm stereo to 2 mono 3.5 mm male

As you may see I’m pretty new to this modular world. I’ve already searched on forums, Reddit, etc. but I can’t find a clear answer. It would be so nice if you could help.

Thanks

The headphone output is just dual mono so you shouldn’t really need to run it in stereo unless you are running it into something that needs a stereo signal. The second link you showed CFM WV will likely run you into trouble with a devices causing cancelation thinking it is a balance signal instead of a single stereo jack. I think the mono cable you are currently using should be good but you could listen to it on some headphones to double check it sounds the same. The first cable you link should work but again you probably don’t need it unless you are working with something like a DJ mixer that doesn’t have a mono input.

I can’t really help on the Q nexus side of things as I have never used one.

Did it not come with an 1/8” to 1/4” adapter made by HOSA? I just attached a guitar cable to that and run it to my interface (so a standard 1/4” TS cable).

The first one you linked to would work, but it will use up an input on you interface that could be used for something else

Can’t thank both of you enough for your answers! I have indeed this adapter by HOSA included with the Strega. So everything’s fine!

I also found out a way to plug the QuNexus into the Strega.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I found the 0-CTRL really opens up the melodic side of Strega. It is not so easy to get the notes right, I’m missing fine tune, but it’s ok enough…

0-Coast is a good companion, definitely.
I’ve put the 3 of them in a little wooden stand I build, it makes it easier to patch.

I really love these little instruments, there so much to explore!

9 Likes

I use it this way too. There’s fine tuning but the key range is short before needing to retune and plus changing the timbre with Tones affects tuning. Delay also affects tuning.

Despite all of that, like you mentioned, it can definitely be melodic and expressive.

1 Like

I have indeed found the need to slightly retune either the 0-Coast or the Strega at times… I thought it was analog parts heating, but I’ll pay attention to your points.

Damn, that’s good!

1 Like

Happy with my Strega and already thinking adding the 0-coast to it.

Might be a stupid question but which one of the 0-coast’s or the Strega’s line output do I plug into my audio interface? The two devices are patched together so I don’t know.

The two devices will each output their own signal, so you’ll need two soundcard inputs to record them. Or you can send 0-Coast’s output into Strega’s time/filter experiment and record the Strega.

1 Like