Make Noise Strega

Thank you. I’m not sure to understand. I doubt this but: Does that mean that both of them send the same audio? I use Ableton Live. So I’ll have to choose the audio input in the software in order to hear/record/etc. (I can’t choose the 2 inputs at the same time). Then what’s the way?

What I think is a good way: I plug each of the 2 lines out into the audio interface (let’s say the 0-coast’s into the input number 1 and the Strega’s into the input number 2). I patch and play the two devices together. And then in Ableton Live I can switch from the input 1 and 2 so I can see which one sounds the way I want.

Why do you have to switch. Ableton should let you hear and record from all your interface’s channels at the same time.

It depends what you want to achieve or how your doing this, but:

0C DYNMC > Strega > interface input 1
0C Line out > Interface input 2

Then a track in Ableton set to input 1 and another to input 2

This way you can record a wet/dry mix of the 0coast / Strega etc etc

2 Likes

Thank you for the help. I’ve looked at the MakeNoise YouTube channel and most of the time they connect the 0-coast into the Strega and the Strega into the audio interface. Of course there are more possibilities. It just depends on the patches as you said.

Awesome! Strega only?

Yes indeed, with a bit of Eventide Space behind .
I recorded a long session and put selected pieces in parallel iirc :slight_smile:
So it’s more like three Strega in parallel ^^

I was especially intrigued by the distortion-like sound I thought only the Lyra had. I’ll definitively choose the Strega when I have the money.
(And I plan using it with a looper, so the 3x Strega part won’t be an issue :slight_smile: )

This is produced by the lofi delay set completely counterclockwise.
You can also have reverb-like delays, or Karplus-strong.

I started to use it with the Octatrack, a very good match :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new EZBOT video is nice.

It has me GASsing - I’m going to be away from home for 2-3 months, and although I will have iPad and laptop to keep me company, sometimes I just want to turn a few knobs and get lost in sound and noise. Lyra is too big to take with, but this is a nice size.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Listening to this Strega Musica comp while working this afternoon is inspiring me to get back to my Strega! :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, it does have a signature sound but this album shows the variety of ways you can incorporate it. Beautiful stuff!

2 Likes

I got a Strega for Christmas from my spouse! I was very, very surprised and have spent the last few days digging into it, sometimes for hours at a time. This is the most boutique and weird synth that I have currently. The build quality is top-notch - all the knobs feel silky-smooth and it’s a solid little thing.

At first, I found it a little frustrating. I think there’s a kind of tension between wanting to surrender to the mysterious aspects of it, while also wanting to understand it really well so you’re getting the most out of it. Also, it’s good to be able to reproduce a cool sound you made later on if you weren’t recording then. What I ended up doing was to print out a blank patch sheet, go through the manual, and write in the function of each knob, input, and output on it. I don’t have the 0-Coast so I wasn’t as familiar with MN’s UI conventions, but taking the time to do this helped a lot.

Without the Time and Filter sections applied to the output, you can definitely hear a similarity with the wavefolding to sounds you can get from the Music Easel (my experience is with the Arturia VST of it). One interesting way to experience what the Time section is doing is to feed a vocal sample through it. I used the Microfreak Speech engine and got some cool results. You can come to grips with it by taking each section on one at a time and seeing what it does.

I did most of my monitoring through my computer and Ableton, which allowed me to casually toss in some additional effects. In particular, plate-type reverb plugins are great for making a lot of noise with it. But it never sounds too ‘raw’ without external effects.

The Strega, piece-by-piece, covers areas of synthesis and effects that I can replicate elsewhere (sometimes with a lot of work), but puts them all together in a really unique total package that’s compelling to play around with. I probably put about 12 hours into it over the holidays.

I’m looking forward to cross-patching it with the Minibrute so I’ll have some more LFOs and other things to add to the mix. Also I didn’t manage to get CV pitch control from the Microfreak working yet (wanted to spend more time playing and less debugging) but that should make a fine pretend 0-Ctrl for me.

I feel like a good gift for someone is something they wouldn’t necessarily have chosen for themselves that is really satisfying and delightful to them. I am not sure I would have put the Strega on my Christmas list because I usually choose more general-purpose gear that I can push in an experimental direction if I’d like. (Sometimes I am too thrifty and sensible in this direction.) However, it’s fitting in really well with my current interests in sound design and my spouse was very happy to listen to hours of experimentation, so it was an awesome gift.

18 Likes

Awesome write up, thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can say strega is one I keep coming back to, I found I kind of just prefer the triangle wave slightly modulated into some harmonics most, which I feel like escapes the strega sound a bit (mimics a filter I suppose). I will say it + 0-ctrl is really worth trying out at some point down the line with it… the combination of dynamic gates, pressure, vactrol envelope triggers and how they relate to the sequencer is really a deep experience. They really feel like a single well thought out instrument together, I rarely patch in outside modulation between the two. I do use it as a FX unit pretty often also.

4 Likes

Cheers!

15 Likes

:laughing:

I loved it…

Cheers!

1 Like

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

This is going to sound like a pretty funny question given the context, but does anyone else get some (unexpected) noise from Strega? I’m getting some intermittent vinyl-type pops/clicks when I monitor or record through an interface. Recording other gear seems to be unaffected. Also, using it with the Microfreak has been a bust since touching the “external influence” controls at the same time as the MF capacitative keyboard can lead to loud static bursts.

Sounds like a grounding issue.

Cheers!

2 Likes