Make Noise Strega

Although I know my Strega well enough, I figured there were still some corners left in the shadow…

8 Likes

Walker shows off a different way to approach Strega (under the influence of Sun Ra) with a keyboard.

4 Likes

Can you sequence the Strega with a Digitakt?

Not directly, I fear.

You would need a MIDI to CV converter.
0-Coast or A4 both do this…

1 Like

This is a very quick and correct video… proof that being first isn’t always the best thing. Some of the first videos introducing it had errors describing Agitation that still exist as guiding bits of info for new users.

Not sure if it should be included or not since in the manual it only shows under tips and tricks, but the ringmodulation would be a good thing to add.

Nice find!

2 Likes

Indeed. I didn’t like Sonic State’s, that I had found pretty much moaning about the lack of filter and cryptic interface instead of trying to understand what it’s capable of/made for.

A basic trick I discovered lately is that 0-Coast square wave sounds really great once overdriven by Strega input amp.

I will go through the manual again now that I have a better understanding of what te Strega does, thanks for the suggestion :tongue:

3 Likes
6 Likes

I will say the way he describes the pads is maybe a little off, only the sources change depending on the settings, pretty easy to track down what is what with the symbols, the destination pad by the filter led is maybe of note as it seems to be the only way to access the filter resonance. I would love a technical breakdown of what is actually happening with the absorb knob, seems complex but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it is simple but sounds complex.

1 Like

To my ear, it has an effect on the filter resonance.

2 Likes

Hmm could be, to me it kind of sounds like it taps into the delay at different stages of the feedback loop and the pushes that post filter, with the different stages volume tuned to scale more or less with turning up the absorb… seems maybe overly complex though

1 Like

So I used Pro-Q3 to view the spectrum when using Absorb.

Absorb appears tied to the Filter frequency and yes, definitely Resonance.

Increasing Absorb doesn’t just increase the resonance, but it seems to either, open the LPF more OR, there could be a high shelf and if so, the delay time would be tied to the high shelf cutoff. That’s just a guess, but there is a boost in highs as the delay time is reduced.

1 Like

@NeonMelk this video is very interesting to understand Strega a bit better.

Yes indeed, already saw it!
The aspect that puzzled me until now was related to audio levels and blend interactions but i’ve just had a good session and now it’s way more clear.
Everything is so tightly related that it needs some practice to feel the thing.
Thanks for the tip anyway.

2 Likes