Master?!?!

With my Elektron equipment, an A4 , MNM, MD and OT which is the best as master clock and what is the best way to link them up?

Haven’t owned a MD, but out of the rest of the three, I haven’t noticed any difference no matter how they are set up, they all have stable clocks.

However, if you have 4 devices, it might be better to invest in a midi thru box (like 1 in, 4 out). Daisychaining lots of gear can lead into problems.

Use the OT as master clock, i know it’s been tested to have rock solid timing.

OT midi out to A4 midi in
A4 midi out to MD midi in
MD midi out to MNM midi in

make sure tempo is set to external on the other boxes. hit play on the OT sequencer and you should be ready to rock and this way as the OT as master clock you can midi sequence the other boxes without relying on ableton and all the latency issues between your audio interface and your DAW.

timing only becomes an issue when you have loops playing from your DAW that need to be in time with your gear. aside from adjusting the start/stop delay manually in our DAW midi settings, slight jitter can occur and at that point a standalone solution from SMD or Innerclock would do the trick to tighten things up.

Depends on what you are doing. Most will suggest the OT for many good reasons. I hate loosing swing resolution on the MD when synced to midi clock (only 5 different percentages actually change the swing when synced). I had been running the OT and MD transport synced, but each on there own internal clock. MD midi clock out is known to have some jitter compared to the newer boxes.

Thanks all.!

are u sure about that stinky? i have done my own tests with the md midi out, rock solid. can you point to the source? cheers abk

are u sure about that stinky? i have done my own tests with the md midi out, rock solid. can you point to the source? cheers abk[/quote]
I have not experienced any issues with the MD midi clock out but it was mentioned often on the EU board as a reason to sync the MD to the OT. I often ran it the other way around without issue. Need that full swing control. Sorry to mislead or to reseed false information if it is false.

I think MD midi clock only comes into question when syncing with DAW through a midi interface. I can’t imagine there being latency between the boxes.

As far as I know, all that stuff regarding sync only becomes a question when you’re sending and receiving start/stop/clock data through a DAW and only becomes noticeable when overdubbing/looping over pre-recorded audio in Ableton, logic etc

are u sure about that stinky? i have done my own tests with the md midi out, rock solid. can you point to the source? cheers abk[/quote]
ahh ok… well u may be referring to the md’s internal timing which is straightened out when the md is set to receive midi clock. afaik the md outputs solid timed midi clock pulses in both modes. of course if you are using midi to sync a daw there will be issues wirh jitter when using the daw as master clock and alignment issues when using the md as master clock due to the internal swing of the md in master clock mode

I use the MD to sync everything as I don’t have an Octa. I use one of these to avoid daisy chaining. Works great!

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/m-thru-5.shtml

Right on.

Another reason I had MD as master is tempo control. The MD has the big wheel and responds to sysex. The OT you have to use a little knob and no option for syses or cc.

That is a great point!

I also in general thing a rhythm machine should be designed to hold a good clock and effect the clock tightly.

The problem is the Elektron gear is all good.

I was running the clock a some point through an OPLab with the OP-1 as the master and the Octatrack bounced 149.8 and 150.3 while the OP-1 was reading 150. but Normally I route clock through my MD.