Max- embed VST preset info in filename/message box?

FAO Max users…

I’m using a vst~ object in a patch, and want to embed in the patch a specific preset name/number (locator) so that it it automatically loads that specfic vst preset upon opening the patch. Somehow its completely eluding me. I can get as far as adding the vst name as an argument in the vst~ object, and that works fine for loading the vst (albeit to the init preset), but after that im stumped. The help files suggest adding the preset name as an additional argument, or by sending a number message to the object, and then theres also a presetnames $1 message box… All draw blanks. Anyone with any tips? Would be much appreciated

Have you read through this?

I think there’s a combination of messages/integers from the tutorial patches in the programs section on there that should work, maybe in combination with a load message?

I dunno, I’m still in noob mode with it, probably no help at all. I’ll have a piss about later on, see if I can figure something out.

1 Like

This should get you rolling in the right direction

The ‘preset names’ seem to be search path critical

So a decent workaround is to save a ‘local’ max preset, then load that - it works

You can tidy up your patch to suit your needs, but if you step through steps 1-7 you’ll see you can clearly load the desired preset (note the plugin preset retains its own name, your Max ‘local’ preset can be whatever you like) - it’s necessary to load a new plugin in this example to ensure the plugin forgets its last preset, you could always just change to a different preset after you have saved the ‘local’ one within the max path

2 Likes

Thanks @Fin25 , yeh i went through all the documentation i could find, as well as the helper patches, and tutorials etc. Baffling that this very basic function should be so cryptically difficult to actually pull off properly…!

@avantronica- yep! this is indeed more or less what i finally ended up working out, in that i first need to manually load a preset/init patch in my chosen vst, save that preset to disk via the Max ‘write’ message, after which that preset is visible to the Max search path and can be called up instantly. It requires a bit of extra faff initially, but gets done what i needed, which is that i wish to quickly call up certain presets either remotely from elsewhere in the patch, or bake the preset into the vst~ object argument itself;

1 Like

have really been enjoying your jams on the current sounds thread, noob or not they blow anything out of the water that i was doing when i first picked up Max

1 Like

Cheers.

I feel your pain though.

Been trying all weekend to make a compressor with a decent sidechain on it, fucking nightmare.

2 Likes

Nerd

1 Like