MaxMSP Midi > DT

Anyone got a Max patch playing all 8 tracks simultaneously?

I’m having issues addressing each midi channel and would appreciate any examples.

Thanks

show folk a screenshot of what you’re trying already (and how you’re routing midi connections) in your patch and correct that at source rather than come at it the other way

4 Likes

This is where I’m upto and it works with individual channels to Ableton using the IAC Driver

Okay, that’s very elementary. You are creating midi notes of fixed duration and there can only be one channel with your configuration

What you don’t reveal is what you want to do with the Midi and how and why you want to use the other channels.

There’s no reason why you wouldn’t just copy paste this multiple times (that’s not what I’d suggest) … but it’s a start of your patch to address your ‘many channels issue’

Suggesting solutions isn’t viable without knowing what you wish to do at any given time. Depending on what you want long term will determine what to integrate now.

How/why and when will you vary channel?

I’m deliberately not offering solutions, the way to conquer Max is to know what you want and find the many ways to do this.

You need to explain your envisaged workflow … what is it that you foresee doing in Max to drive the DT

1 Like

Can you not just duplicate that 8 times with a different midi channel set to each iinstance of midiformat?

1 Like

Yes, quite a simple problem. But it only exsists with the DT. To explain a little further. I have, as you have suggested, duplicated this 8 times and hooked up 8 sequencers in Max to trigger them. In ableton I have 8 tracks being played by channels 1 to 8. All works as expected.

When I change the Midiout to the DT everything plays track 2 even tho the channels are explicitly references channels 1 to 8. But… When I manually trigger Note On {see screenshot} I can address different tracks/channels.

Not sure what’s happening for you Midi wise - whether you are setting up in M4L or what your Live settings are - but this works in Max

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ll build it in the morning and see if I have any better luck.

1 Like