May buy an AR mk2- some quick workflow questions

Coming from a Digitakt in the past, Ive wanted one of these for so long. I wanted to wrap my head around a few things though.

Reading the manual I see that the compressor, reverb and distortion are send effects only. So basically, if tracking individual outs, I can route away from the main 2 outs and record those to get the effects on a stereo track in my DAW.

I guess my question is if many of you do this? I keep reading about how the AR can really make samples sound better, etc and I am curious how much of that is due to using the distortion and compressor?

Looking in the manual it appears that the overdrive and filters are on each track, so that may possibly be all I need, and then I can send maybe the toms to the stereo out or something like that.

Just trying to understand how you all like to get your drums dialed in.

At the end of the day I can process further in the DAW, but it’s a shame if the send FX are really good.

Other thing I was wondering was this - I wanted to sample my drum machines into the AR. I love how the mk2 has a sampling input - that’s huge. Is it pretty fast to trigger samples, record into the AR and name and organize them? I’d love to get a good amount of my TR8s sounds in the AR if its not a super slow process.

Past that, my final question is if you all think the AR suits my workflow. I make minimal/lo-fi house so I like getting big drum sounds and then degrading them a bit after. I also like my classic drum machine samples and I’d want to bring them into the AR, layer in some sub low end on the kicks, make them a bit fatter and then make a beat. I am familiar with the Elektron workflow, so I like to LFO different things to make the parts breathe, add probability on certain kick hits and clap fills - basically create a pretty grooving house beat that evolves and slams for 16-32 bars and then record the outs into the DAW.

Anyway, that’s what I am looking to do. Just making sure you all think the AR is a good fit for me.

It’s an amazing bit if kit. And is far more capable than a DT. Performance / Scenes make this a different beast. The reason it sounds better is mainly due the analogue filters and the abilty to blend in analog osc imo…

I have experimented with seperate outs into a 16ch Yamaha desk but keep coming back to using the stereo outs, it just works! Comp is good…distortion is good (but like all distortion it’s noisy when there is no drums playing)… but like the DT if you split the seperate outs then you can still send the signal to the mains or individual sounds to the fx and route the fx to the mains out. Plenty of creative options and you are already thinking in a creative way. Saying that you can input back into the comp…! So send out to a mixer eq, fx, then send the sum back into the inputs and comp.

I still send out the kick via the analog outs and trigger the key input of some outboard compressors. And I have a dub chord sample on one pad that I send out to a tape delay and crusty reverb.

Same with OB i just end up using the stereo master.

I terms of editing the interface is enough, but I always use a DAW. But that is down to the fact that I can digital edit in FL with my eyes closed…layering then re sampling works a treat in the AR though…

Do it…

2 Likes

Thanks, thats awesome to hear. I layer in my DAW, but I am so much more focused when I do that type of work in a drum machine. Its just faster and more fun for me so its good to hear that it is easy to layer.

Sounds like the filters and oscillators are the main key to the sound, so thats great news.Sounds like we work in a similar manner.

You can also internally route the pads away from the fx sends via the “send to fx” option, I actually don’t use this often so don’t know much about it, I think the DT has this too (?)

Pretty much the same as DT here

Sounds like it does to me

Having gone DT->AR2 there are some differences you’ll need to get used to (although the latest OS brought them closer together) but you’re 1/2 way there with the DT knowledge already…

Thanks. I pulled the trigger and got one coming early next week. Very excited. I have been using the TR8S, which is a really nice drum machine, but I feel like I can take my drums to the next level with the Rytm and layering in my drum samples.

Some simple things I really have missed are probability trigs, and the ability to have say, a kick pattern that goes 8 bars and a snare that is maybe just 2. Super lazy of me, but you can’t really do that on the TR8S, you have to extend everything the same length, which even with copy/paste can be a slight hassle. I just remember the digitakt being easier for dialing up more complex patterns faster.

4 Likes

Only reverb of that list is send. Compression and distortion are hard wired pre mains and always there. But not on individual outs, for any FX

3 Likes

Nice :+1:t3: It’s much more complete than a Digitakt.
it does everything you could want from a drum machine, can’t see myself ever selling mine.
If you find any issues with it take it straight back and swap it for a new one,
because there has been a few issues with the pads on some of them.
Mine didn’t have any problems though.

The issues were with the first year batch I think. I bought mine 6 months after release, thinking I’d avoid the teething problems, but had pad, output and +drive problems - of course Elektron sorted them all out. It’s a shame I had to do this twice, as was without the machine for over a month. Since then though, it’s been trouble free. The later models were fine.

2 Likes

Those do impart some color, but IMO the “mojo” comes from the 8 analog filters and 8 VCAs.

It just de-digitizes samples so well.
It can make the crustiest, thinnest, flakiest sample come to life.

You can multiply this with resampling.

3 Likes

Awesome, thats great to know since I distort my drums in the DAW usually with a combo of Trash and/or Decapitator.

Super excited to see how this punches up samples from some of my old drum machines. Just being able to sample right into the MKII is one big reason I went for that model. The TR8S can’t do that so its a bit of a pain. It also doesn’t really impart character onto the drums anyway. I still love the thing, but it doesnt have any mojo.

1 Like

Can you make a full track only with AR mkII ? I mean, sampling melodies and chopping and playing drum on it like on DT ?
I prefere use one gear at time so this AR can be intersting for me too if you can go as far as the DT can in sampling.

1 Like

It’s possible, I’ve heard some pretty good tracks made just with it only from someone on here.
You can play notes chromatically on the pads and with sample locks it’s possible to fit a lot into 12 tracks

1 Like

Check out youtube user Glo Phase if you want a taste of what the Rytm can do standalone.

The best part of the Rytm over the digitakt for me is literally just the pads. The pads are pretty lacklustre, but they speed up the workflow so much through being able to preview any trig (including p-locks). I actually find it faster to slice up breaks this way than on the OT.

The analog engines, slide trigs, performance features, etc are all gravy. The live auditioning of trigs is a gamechanger for my workflow.

1 Like

Another question that I was curious about. Does the rytm have that natural movement to it that you can’t get from samples? Basically, what round robin samples simulate? ( ex - https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/dr-110-analog-vs-sample )

My thinking is I could layer samples with the analogue sounds so I get natural movement from the analogue layer and then LFO sample start or pitch subtlety for snares and hats.

The distortion is quite nice. I approach using the Rytm in one of two ways: pretty light on the distortion and compression and then I’m free to multitrack over OB, or heavy on these and be restricted to the 2bus. I usually only send one or two instruments to FX or delay so these can be sent out the main outs. When needed I track individual tracks with the distortion to keep that flavour.

3 Likes

I checked Glo Phase on youtube. Very good even on AR 1. The main difference with AR1 is the sampling right ?
Let wait and see what Elektron is actually working on, but this AR mkII could be my weapon of choice.

1 Like

Yes, the way the analogue VCAs, oscillators and filters reset results in lots of natural variation of the sound, it struck me immediately. In fact it was more pronounced than I was expecting, especially in the hihats.

I’ve owned a TR-8S for a while and I just recently got an AR mk2 for exactly the same reason as you - easier sample handling, sampling capability, and the much more advanced Elektron sequencer. Very happy with it so far. First drum machine I’ve not felt the need to route through an external distortion or saturation effect.

2 Likes

The (re)sampling and the screen are the biggest upgrades imo. I also strongly prefer the newer style buttons.

The resampling especially opens up the device and gives some much needed workarounds for some of the limitations of the Rytm. Need more fine control over start and end points of a sample? Resample it and now you can zoom and cut it extremely precisely. Want to move your sound to a different pad to make room for another analog engine? Resample.

2 Likes

Yeah, I use resampling every time on my DT or SP303 :slight_smile:
Resampling is the ultimate cheat tricks that open everything

1 Like

Yeah the resampling is fantastic. First thing I tried with it was making a three-note chord using the three DVCO machines, trimmed it and stuck it on a tom pad to play chromatically. Worked exactly as I’d hoped, couldn’t have been easier.

4 Likes