MD and Logic 9 MIDI CCs

Hi all, I’m trying to run a sequence off of my DAW to control my MachineDrum. I currently have one midi track/region that has an entire drum sequence, including 6 different drums. I’d like to issue some program changes to specific drums contained within this one midi track to alter things like pitch, decay, etc, for the specific drums. (I know the internal sequencer is amazing, but for this specific track, which is extremely fast, does not correspond to a grid at all times, and alters every bar, Logic’s piano roll is likely easier).

However, I can’t quite figure out how to send specific program changes from within Logic. The MachineDrums user manual lists out “hex” and “dec” numbers that correspond to each machine parameter, but I can’t find anything relating to ‘hex’ or 'dec within logic 9. When creating a new program change in logic, I only see ‘position’, ‘status’, ‘ch’, ‘num’, ‘val’, and ‘length’. On top of that, the program change that I create doesn’t seem to have a way of differentiating between each of the 6 drums contained within the one midi track/region.

Does anyone have an idea how I can just issue program changes on singular notes within one midi region and also how to adjust ‘hex’ and ‘dec’ values so that I can relate a change to specific machinedrum parameters?

thanks a lot for your help

Take a deep breath.

Let’s get some basic terminology sorted out:

[ul]
[li]The sounds of the MD can be played by MIDI note messages with each note triggering a different track’s sounds.[/li]
[/ul]

[ul]
[li]The MIDI messages that are used to control MD sound parameters are MIDI Control Change messages (aka CCs), not Program Change messages.[/li]
[/ul]

[ul]
[li]The MD manual gives lists of the Control Change messages that you can use in Appendix B. The number of the Control Change message is given in two different number formats (decimal (base 10) and hexadecimal (base 16)). I suggest that you ignore the hexadecimal version for now.[/li]
[/ul]

Let’s take an example:
Let’s say that you are using a TRX-BD machine on track 1 (BD) of the MD. This can be controlled using MIDI from the base channel that is set on the MD. If you want to control the decay time (the second parameter) of this machine by MIDI then you have to send Control Change message number 17 with a value that corresponds to the decay time that you want.

If you can’t figure out how that example was created from Appendix B of the manual, let us know.

Also, if you don’t know how to record and send MIDI CC messages in Logic, let us know.

Thanks a lot, Peter. That’s a big help already. I was able to execute the example you gave (the kick’s decay). Afterward, I tried to alter the Pitch on track 15 (M3). I updated the Ch. to 4 (base + 3), adjusted the Num. to 72 (according to Appendix B) and adjusted the value. I do not hear any adjustment of the pitch when this particular Note (i.e. Machine) is triggered at this particular Position.

Because I was able to execute your example, I do think I understand how Appendix B is laid out.

I am, however, new to using MIDI and CCs in Logic. I am currently creating them by using “Lists” > “Event” and then clicking “Controller” to insert a CC, which I modify by editing the “Position”, “Ch”, “Num”, and “Val” options.

I do hope there is an easier way to adjust CCs overall, as this process seems inefficient (in Logic). Hopefully there is (and, since I know so little about using MIDI CCs, I presume there is) something easier.

1 Like

I haven’t used Logic in many years, but surely it must be capable of recording MIDI CC messages in real-time (the MD could be used as the source) and drawing in automation data.

I haven’t used Logic in many years, but surely it must be capable of recording MIDI CC messages in real-time (the MD could be used as the source) and drawing in automation data.[/quote]
It is, I just did it last week, some shortcuts you can’t record (like reload kit) but for most stuff it’s fine. I would suggest recording 1 msg at a time. Logic can definitely handle multiple, but if you want to edit it later it’s harder to find