MD and Roland TR-8 unexpected awesomeness

I am a big fan on sequencing songs on the MD and I wanted to bring that experience to the TR-8 by controlling it from the MD via MIDI notes, CCs, etc. Well last night I got unexpected awesome results thanks to how the TR-8 handles incoming MIDI.

I created a kit on the MD using 11 MIDI machines, one for each drum on the TR-8. To get it to work properly, I had to turn off the internal MIDI clock on the TR-8. What’s interesting though is that the internal sequencer on the TR-8 can still be run manually. Now this is a clusterfuck if you have drums sequenced on the TR-8 and then also MIDI triggers from the MD, but the magic is in the efx steps on the TR-8.

I cleared the TR-8 of all drums on a pattern, but DID sequence some random delay and reverb triggers. I then set the tempo on the TR-8 to be different from the MD (MD was running at 122 BPM and the TR-8 at 97).

Now, hitting play on the MD runs a drum pattern as expected, but also hitting start on the TR-8 now triggers semi-random effect sends. When the TR-8 pattern hits a efx trigger, it’s effecting whatever drums happen to be sounding from the MD pattern. Great for subtle variance on a drum pattern, especially if you push the whole thing through a compressor.

It’s opened up a few ideas that I’m going to continue pursuing…off kilter side chaining is another idea. Stay tuned.

And here I am ‘naw i don’t a need tr-8 … the md is fine for all of that on its own’.
Awesome find - thanks for sharing.
;]

The TR-8 is seriously a fantastic value. Between it, the MD and the OT, I feel like I have a ton of flexibility in drums.

+1

I’ve also thought that the TR-8 is great for the price. I use it with my tempest to layer sounds. also great fun to sequence the tempest, while I scatter or beat roll, since both those features have no effect on either of the machine. it makes some pretty interesting variations.

That is cool. Actually gives me some ideas using the gear I have, which actually, doesn’t include a TR-8. Basically using my MNM, MD, and EVENTIDE SPACE reverb set up, where my MNM replaces the TR-8 in your setup. You’ve given me the grounds for a new experiment!

Thanks for posting something inspirational!

^ Yep, that’s what I was just thinking too except you could use the OT instead of the Mono. You might be able to do this “internally” with Thru tracks on the OT too since there are different step lengths per track as I recall.