MD + MBase11 CC issue

Two MD patterns, two different kits. Other than CC values, the different kits’ MID machines are identical.

I’m sending PGM change and CC messages from the MD to the MBase. The MBase is responding to PGM changes, but not CC values, until I move one of the CC parameter knobs, and then the MBase snaps to the value I’ve set in the MD kit.

If I use a kit tht retains the same MBase11 program, and only contains different CC settings, it’ll handle those fine. But if I send Pgm change to the MBase in addition CC info, it only reacts to the Pgm change, not the CC settings.

I’ve p-locked triggers to the CC settings, but that doesn’t appear to work.

I’m not sending clock to the MBase, and the MD’s Global base channel is set to [1-4]. I tried it with base set to [–], but no difference.

I’ve tried sending a pulse trigger and using MIDI only for CC messages - no go.

Something I’m missing here?

Probably not missing anything. Behavior of the MD and the gear receiving the midi it sends has always had a bit of mysticism to me, not enough science. Roll with it and see what you can make. Between program changes, p-lock or not, machine changes at pattern change, LFOs continuing to run, and hickups on the other end from gear receiving dense midi streams: shit often does not behave as desired.

Do you have another way of sending the same info to isolate if it is on the sending/receiving end?

If you have an extra track in your pattern try sending the CC on a higher numbered track than the program change.

I could connect it to the DAW and find out, but this is for a live set with several segments, and I’ve already decided to just mute the MBase on the console during the segment transitions, nudge an MD parameter knob to actually send the desired changes, then unmute the MBase when I’m ready.

It’s aggravating since the MD can do all those automated parameter changes and I don’t know which machine is at fault, but I’m just gonna deal with it manually.

I just recalled the method for sure fire program change with a midi machine. I learned this on the old EU board. You need to use a control 8 machine and p-lock the values there. Then it always sends and can be use predictably.

A control 8 is also needed for LFO to midi note number when using a midi machine.

I’ll give it a go.

Thank you!