MD MK2 for sequencing VSTs/hardware through a DAW?

So, I’m setting up a mini studio for cheap and got the aforementioned ultra drum machine for really cheap recently, and I at first thought I made a mistake. Everything about the machine is great, but it’s sound is not. Let’s get back to everything else, the sequencer is f***ing great. At least when it comes to creating patterns, not full-on song edit. So I began to think I could still use it instead of selling.

Now, please don’t tell me I should make the sound work for me. I experimented a lot and I don’t like it, and I don’t want to. I would still like to use the unit very much so. Very very much so. Because I want to integrate in into a DAW not just for sounds, but also flexibility.

Since I’ll be waiting a few days to get myself a firewire interface, which comes bundled with Studio One 3 Artist (been playing with the demo for a few days and it’s awesome). Anyway, I’m not a paitencent man. I don’t even know how to spell paicense or whatever. I want to know a few things right now.

More specifically, I want to know how good does the Machinedrum work as a sequencer for drum machine VSTs (since Studio One Artist has no VST support, I guess the included sample based drum machine would do the trick, perhaps with a few choice sample sets for cheap).

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcL0kfNetw
Very helpful. Yet I want to know a few more things, even though I don’t know what more there is to know. Well, maybe I want to know how well does it work. I want to know the workflow, the best workflow, of such a setup. I see, for instance, that each drum sound is a separate instrument channel. That is very flexible indeed. Also, the modulation of the parameters within the VST gets recorded and made easily visible, and so does all the modulation that is sent through midi input. I can manipulate it all post-recording. Dandy.

Does anyone else do this? Are you happy with how it’s working out? Is having a sequencer for a sequencer kind of weird? Do you find the Machinedrum can control enough of the parameters of drum VSTs? Do you don’t mind if it doesn’t? Does this make putting together the entire song easier? Do you do something similar while still using Machinedrum’s sounds?

You don’t have to provide all the answers alone. Giving any kind of input or just saying “Welcome to the forum.” is good enough. Thanks for having the paicence to hear me out. :slight_smile:

That video shows the basic use of MIDI note messages.
You can also have the MD’s sequencer send MIDI Control Change messages and Program Change messages in case that is useful for controlling your VSTs or other equipment. The values can be controlled by the MD’s LFOs and parameter locks.