Metal chassis desktop synths?

Regardless of what someone thinks of Elektron workflow, it’s hard to argue that they have some of the best built chassis in the industry and 90% of their products (with the exception of buttons and knobs) having full metal construction. There are a few other makers metal chassis “keyboard versions” I can think of, but still a lot of those are also mostly plastic.

I noticed a lot of manufacturers (especially of desktop synths) are more like 90% plastic, 10% “other material” and while this doesn’t represent the entire market (some sequential for example), it’s a large portion of it.

So who else is still building desktop synths with metal chassis? Or, in your opinion, who else is building products that will last?

4 Likes

I think it tends to track with price to some extent, but Dreadbox comes to mind at the affordable end, their stuff is all metal and solidly built, good components etc.

4 Likes

SOMA LYRA-8 is built like a tank

7 Likes

Minitaur.

Also plenty of higher-end synths like Sequential, Erica, Majella, Analogue Solutions etc.

1 Like

After modifying the Opsix it will be in an aluminum case, maybe that’s cheating though.

The Cobalt8M is steel and aluminum. Maybe the other Modal synths too?

Yeah, the Elektrons feel so solid. I love how heavy and industrial they are, but have such flexibility in what sounds they can make.

2 Likes

I don’t know for sure but my OP1 (original) looks like it’s been milled from a solid block of metal. It’s way heavier than something that size ought to be.

2 Likes

If anyone ever broke into my apartment in the middle of the night, I’d grab my DigitoneKeys and whack them in the face.

5 Likes

I think skulpt and craftsynth are plastic?

Opsix is only keyboard version right?

Here’s a fun story I should keep for myself:

Once I stumbled upon my USB cable and my Syntakt slammed on the floor. But it turned on just like that, as if nothing happened. However I noticed it wiggled on the desk, … because the whole case was bend @.@

I was devastated since I never had problems with it, perfect encoders and all.

Without thinking, I did actually bend it back in shape using the edge of the desk …

6 Likes

thank god it didn’t hit your foot. you’d find out very quickly how much stronger syntakt is than the human toe.

4 Likes

Prophet 12. I think some of the knobs could be vulnerable, but the chassis is solid.

1 Like

I don’t even think I could lift my DK with enough flexibility to whack anyone in the face (except possibly me).

7 Likes

Vermona. All of them—Perfourmer, DRM, Lancets, and my dream synth, the '14—are built to last and eschew any plastic in the chassis.

3 Likes

Hydrasynth Desktop
Melbourne Instruments NINA
Memotron Desktop
The NDLR
OTO Machines Bim, Bam, Boum
miniKORG 700FS

1 Like

A lot of them… my microvolt is a solid brick of metal as an example.

1 Like

Make Noise desktop boxes, Isla S2400, Early version of Polyend Tracker was all metal.

I like my all-metal Elektrons, but I’m not convinced they will be more robust in the long run than something like a TR-8s.

I can point you at marinas full of 30+ year old boats where most of the metal parts have been replaced or need replacing, but (except for manufacturing defects) the fiberglass is close to new.

Plastics are a vast category and the main problem is they tend to last much longer than intended.

4 Likes

So you’re saying I shouldn’t use my Digitakt in the water then?

8 Likes

Implexus.

Yeah you can bend most metal enclosure gear into shape if its wonky, or desk not flat etc.

Plastic tends to just break :metal:

3 Likes