Metal chassis desktop synths?

Behringer 2600 and it’s variants and the Odyssey are metal cased. Blofeld keys is another and weighs the same as a small moon for its size

2 Likes

Waldorf M (I assume kyra and iridium also) intellijel cascadia and the radikal instruments spectralis are probably the most solid metal chasis synths I have experienced. Syntrx is a runner up, while it is all metal its size to thickness ratio means it has some flex to it, makenoise desktops have a PCB faceplate but they are in metal boats, very solid.

Maybe worth noting some old plastics used are super solid, I got some old plastic akai stuff that is absolutely rock solid the do have metal under bellies though.

1 Like

Just discontinued now, but Waldorf Pulse 2.
And Blofeld.

Peak is pretty chunky, too.

2 Likes

New thread idea - instruments best used for home defence… personally I’d probably open with a Telecaster or lobbing a few pocket operators!

1 Like

I don’t know how much it would hurt but I always thought it looked like you could throw those RK004’s like a ninja star

3 Likes

Yup, Peak is a good call.

I see you mentioned Erica Synths. My DB-01 and LXR-02 are the most gorgeous, military grade machines on my desktop.

2 Likes

As for Dreadbox and good components you really are off the mark here, have you ever looked at a dreadbox PCB, on their pcbs they use the cheapest capacitors, trimmers etc I’ve ever seen, they are that tight all the Ic’s are soldered straight to the boards no sockets, so you’ll have a nightmare replacing them in the future.

However Dreadbox machines do sound great and do look well built from the outside.

Yea I’ve built (well, assembled) 2 of their synths myself :slight_smile: Solid pots and switches etc.

No cheaper components used than I’m used to and if you think their boards are tight I’d recommend never buying any DIY euro modules :sweat_smile:

IC sockets can be useful though for sure.

But I did clarify that they’re at the affordable end of the spectrum - if you want all that stuff they’d cost twice as much.

Not really any different to Moog semi modulars though for what it’s worth, here’s a shot I took during a repair of a Mother-32, nary an IC socket in sight.

1 Like

My Pulsar 23 is like a fucking tank

The Toraiz AS-1 has plastic sides but the main chassis is metal and it feels super solidly built, great pots

1 Like

There’s no IC sockets on that Moog board because all those ICs are SMD, if you look at any Dreadbox thru hole synth or module the ICs are soldered straight to the board, I can’t think of any modern synth maker that does this except Dreadbox and it’s purely to save penny’s yet will inflict nightmares on future repairs.

Either way I think we’re drifting a little from the intent of the post :+1: Especially as the Dreadbox synths I have use SMD components.

Importantly Dreadbox synths are solidly built and have metal enclosures, ideally you won’t be replacing your ICs very often.

1 Like

Acoustic instruments (e.g. one flute or two) would stand a better chance. Electronic one-shots are not practical.

2 Likes

The guy just wanted to help him tune up his guitar.

Sounds like it worked, too. :joy:

Only a Telecaster would stay in tune after that!