MGC - Digitakt + Monome

Hey everybody, so I’ve created a new Max patch + JS script for controlling all 8 channels of the Digitakt from my Monome 40th. My goal was to create new ways to perform with the Digitakt which cannot be easily done from the Digitakt itself (yes you can hold Track and change all tracks at once but this is much quicker).

MGC (MultiChannel Grid Control) can basically create button groups on the Monome. Each group can be assigned to one or multiple MIDI CC destinations and each button in a group can be assigned to different values. What’s also cool is that it will output the MIDI CC to multiple MIDI Channels so I can control all 8 tracks of the Digitakt at once.
It can also save and recall multiple scenes / presets and randomize everything.

While this was designed with the Digitakt in mind, it can definitely be used with other samplers, drum machines, synthesizers, etc.

It’s open source and available at https://github.com/icaroferre/MGC

Here’s a video demo: https://youtu.be/QMNk66-enZg

In order to use this with other gear you just need to create a different mapping file (JSON) and set it up as you want.

The script can be modified to work with larger Monomes, I just haven’t had the time yet to add multiple sizes. It should work with Monome 64s for now.

Anyway, hope this is useful for some of your and let me know if you have any other ideas / suggestions! :control_knobs:

5 Likes

This is phenomenal! Seems like you could get into some pretty crazy Squarepusher-y live edits with it. I’m keen on a 128 grid version. Possibly in the near future? Let me know if you need a tester.

Hello. I’m playing with you patch right now and it’s more than juicy :heart_eyes:
I’m getting trouble to get the JSON file right. with you files it’s ok but not mine.
here’s my JSON :digitakt.json (1.6 KB)
an I have this on the console :

what did I do wrong ?

thx

You had an extra comma on line 74 which was invalidating the JSON. Might be a good idea to run your JSON files through a JSON lint to make sure it’s all good. :slight_smile:
I’ve also pushed a new commit that should also improve some stuff. Might be a good idea to re-download at least the main patch!

2 Likes

thx for the tip. I’ve re-download the patch but I keep having issue

I keep having the same issue : /