Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

Eh up. Loving the sound of the microcosm 100%.
Absolutely cannot get the looper to quantise to external midi clock of any device tho.
Quantise mode is enabled. I catch the loop, it starts off sounding roughly in time, then by 30 secs in it’s trainwrecking.
1 minute in and it’s like a 16th note out or something.
Anyone else experiencing this?!

I am really loving my microcosm. I have an m32 and dfam fed into it, it just unfurls and curls and undulates.
Very rad, very rad, yes cool, hooray.

@captain8, I brought it down to 30 w my digitakt, but haven’t checked lowest bpm.

@terryberry, I know microcosm won’t sync to outboard devices until it receives a start/stop command from those devices, maybe that is the issue?

1 Like

Ah yeah that aint the one unfortunately; I’m sending all that. the fx are in time but the looper drifts.
Hard to tell what’s goin on under the hood but it seems like the problem is to do with interpolation. If yr trying to chop anything to like 16 iterations of a midi clock there’s gonna be a discrepancy due to jitter/sample rate, and the error is of course cumulative cos it’s a looper.
The only way to convincingly keep it in time is to restart the loop, which i spose they could do with a counter and a restart signal. Hopefully this will come in a firmware update but fuck knows.
to make it usable in my setup I’ve had to build a dedicated looper in Zoia, which doesn’t have the facility to count up integers, but made it so the start point can be sequenced and/or clock divided instead; that’s gonna have to live after the microcosm for the foreseeable but it’s bang tight.
The microcosm looper kinda works for me pre-fx cos it can be smooshed into submission with the synced fx haha.
Was a bit fucked off about it for a while but then i realised i have a microcosm AND a zoia and should stfu haha

1 Like

I don’t understand your problem since i don’t have any sync issue sending the clock from an OT, never drifts for me.

In case you can reproduce it consistenly with different devices sending clock to it, i’d suggest that you write to Hologram so they can fix it in a future firmware update (so everybody don’t need a Zoia as a workaround :wink: )

1 Like

Ah yea I reproduced it clocking from OPZ, Blackbox, Zoia, and also Ableton via Expert Sleepers USAMO.
Have heard from other users who experienced same issue.
The FX are always bang on; it’s just the looper that drifts.
I wrote to Hologram and they just quoted the manual at me and then went silent lol.
Would be interested to see if you can reproduce it using just the looper with no FX. For me it sounds in time for a bit but is very perceptibly out after maybe 30secs to a minute.
I suppose if others are getting zero issues then maybe just some units are off?!

Mine just arrived. Got a shipping notification on Friday so that was really quick. But even though I ordered it with an EU plug, they accidentally sent it with a US plug. Slight bummer since now I have to get another one on my own cost.

They accidentally did it or you did?

I ordered a EU plug, I checked to make sure. Sent them an email and will wait for a response.

1 Like

They should make it right if it’s their mistake

When did you order, just out of interest and to gauge where mine might be at :sweat_smile:

Indeed but even if they send out a replacement it‘ll probably be days if not weeks… looks like it’s a standard 9v 300mA power supply, so I can at least use one of my other plugs until this gets sorted.

@yokermoon
I ordered mid May, my order number is posted a little earlier in this thread so you can compare.

1 Like

lovely, thanks, I ordered a week or two later and I’m 15644. Cool to hear they ship so fast and seems like it’ll be here soon.

If your order was for the July batch then it shouldn’t be much longer. Hope you get it with the right plug :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yeah, it’s the July batch and definitely selected UK plug and double-checked out of paranoia! That’s annoying, sorry! ‘I can’t wait to play with…OH COME OOOONNN!!!..’.

1 Like

Already got a response and they‘ll send a new plug right away. Hope it won’t be too long.

Until then I‘d like to use it with one of my other PSU‘s, if it delivers 600mA max but the Microcosm only needs 300mA is it still good to go? My other pedals who use 100mA and 500mA work fine with this universal PSU so I assume this won’t be an issue…

Ask them.

1 Like

Yes, this PSU will work fine. A device will only use as much current as it needs.

2 Likes

weirdly enough just had my shipping notification through! :slight_smile:

Excellent. Then you should receive it by early next week latest. I‘m still pleasantly surprised on how fast shipping was, didn’t expect it before the weekend.

1 Like

I received my replacement plug just a few minutes ago, so all good now. Good experiences with a companies‘ support weigh a lot in my book.

And to add my initial impressions with this pedal after using the basic functions only so far: for me it’s what I hoped it would be. I tried it with some acoustic stuff as well as electronic instruments and I always got something out of it that I enjoyed. Still working on ideal routings in combination with other effects.