Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

LOL I just scrolled up and saw we got ours around the same time too.

1 Like

Also gave a hard look at my Zoia, my Microcosm, and it wasnā€™t a difficult decision.

3 Likes

Nice to see you here, Iā€™m the one who almoste buy Microcosm from you on Reverb.
After searching all of Spain and EU I had found only one second hand from Wallapop ES but the guy asked me for 522ā‚¬ + Insurance and shippingšŸ˜…. I still in love with Microcosm but Zoia is the right option for me now.

1 Like

The zoia looks absolutely amazing with all it can do. I am loving the microcosm and am glad I got it a few weeks back. For subtle backing sounds and textures it is working great in the style of music I do (house).

As long as it is synced, the results keep being satisfactory. Or maybe Iā€™ve been lucky. But a few tweaks and thatā€™s it. I havenā€™t explored all modes yet, mostly using the micro loop and glitches thus far. I got to dive deeper but music making time is scarce around here.

3 Likes

At least there are saving slots which most parts of these pedals lack of.
Personnaly without ability to give names to the presets i get lost quite fast. With Midi though the ability to recall a preset is priceless.

I would often call one preset and tweak it live anyway. Otherwise what to do of all these nice knobs? :wink:

1 Like

I think they just havenā€™t caught up yet, I do the same as you but it will be nice when more pedals allow you to keep on tweaking and saving what youā€™re doing right on the pedalsā€¦ theyā€™re digital devices after allā€¦ and midi control on the pedals is something I love but if Iā€™m going to have to get the computer involved all the time it dampens the mood

shout out to Alexander pedals though, I called them and asked about the slots and they literally sent me over a file the next day that doubled the number of slots I was able to save on the pedal so if anybody wants more slots to save your presets on the pedal send a quick note to the dev you never know howā€™ll theyā€™ll respond

I donā€™t know Alexander pedals but Iā€™d say it is very unlikely to happen on the MC since the marks are the Leds, unless they can get more colours :wink: Strange though that the dev can double the slots with a simple file and donā€™t implement it natively on the pedal or through a firmware update available for allā€¦

and midi control on the pedals is something I love but if Iā€™m going to have to get the computer involved all the time it dampens the mood

I use Midi but donā€™t use a computer. Iā€™d even dare to say that Midi is so universal that it allows you to go computerless.

Iā€™d have to double check but I think it was for the syntax error pedal and I do believe they were going to make it available later, they are really good people overthere and very reasonable about improvements.

Akai Timbrewolf Microcosm and Model Samples

Paid 200 for the timbrewolf yesterday. I really like it! Love how limited it is and love the sequencer which even its detractors seem to love. Itā€™s really fun and I can see a cult following developing around it eventually.

This one doesnā€™t do layers, right? Like the Chase Bliss Blooper? Doesnā€™t seem to, from my googling and youtubing, but I figured Iā€™ll ask in the one place where I can always trust I can get an answer I can trust.

Define ā€œlayersā€?

The looper can do overdubs. You can place the looper before or after the granular effects, so you could create overdubs with different effects placed on each dub. But the overdubs are cumulative, rather than discrete (I donā€™t have a Blooper, but I think it allows you to select between overdubs, essentially? so this would be different ā€“ the only way you can affect layer of overdubbing once recorded is to undo the most recent one).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I thought. Thanks. Though honestly, when I did use the Blooper, I didnā€™t much use the layer function back and forth other than as an advanced Undo anyway.

So maybe this might work for me.

Iā€™m moving so far away from sequencing and arranging stuff now, Iā€™m considering writing tracks even outside the Blackbox environment, going only with free running loops in an environment where itā€™s not possible to work it any other way. This one is my best bet so far, though 60 second is sliiiightly on the short side.

But if itā€™s a glorious set of 60 seconds, tho ā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what would be a good recommendation for a 3rd choice to check out that rivals the microcosm and the blooper?

Itā€™s more left field, but the Fabrikat is a really fascinating granular loopingish thing. Iā€™d call it the weird cousin of blooper, mood, microcosm, and morphagene.

oh yeah forgot about that one, I wish Devon blue Whitaker would do a video on itā€¦ watching collector emitter right now

If you are interested in a Fabrikat, they just made a batch available on their site a couple of days ago.

They usually sell out quickly.

3 Likes

Mine gets here Friday! Going to spend the weekend with a saxophone in my face, and a table of weird shit like this.

3 Likes

Does anyone else find it really difficult to trigger the Microcosm effects using synths (unless itā€™s dry plucky sounds)?

Fabrikat or Microcosm?

There was supposedly a firmware update to help with this but thatā€™s the reason I got rid of mine.