MIDI CC page confusion on DT / DN / ST

I’m using the AMP page on my DT (which lets you select which MIDI CC you want to control on the MIDI tracks) however I’m a little confused on the difference between the number under the box (which seems to be the actual CC number and the number and letters IN the box.

For example when I select CC# 56 it displays 56 under the box as you turn the encoder, but IN the box it shows CC 24 / LSB

Perhaps someone can explain why this is, and a little about LSB

Pretty sure this applies to all the Elektron boxes.

Thanks so much

LSB- Least significant bit. I can’t tell you anything else about it because I don’t use it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

MIDI CC values can have a low resolution depending on the use case - 128 different values.

When you use them to control low-resolution targets then they work fine, but some things, like the pitch bend would sound “stepped” if you only have 128 different positions for the ±2 octave range.

To overcome this, multiple CC messages can be combined into one. If you use two CC messages then the possible values are 128 * 128 or 16384. This would allow for very tiny adjustments and the steps would be small enough to not be audible.

When you see the term LSB and MSB, it can refer to the least/most significant bit or byte.

In this case it is byte because it refers to the MIDI CC message.

The part with the significance refers to how much difference would it make if the number is changed.

If you take the following number: 1234567 - then 1 is the most significant and 7 is the least. Why? If you change 1 to 2 - you go from one million to two millions. If you change 7 to 8 - you go from… seven to eight. Going from seven to eight makes little to no difference compared to going from one to two millions.

This is how CC messages are working when you “merge” more of them into one. One message will always represents a larger change because of it’s position in the final number and thus it will be more significant.

The device that would expect these “merged” CC messages would always wait for all of them to be sent and then combine them.

1 Like

This is a fantastic and detailed answer. Thank you!

Does that mean that the number INSIDE the box is only relevant for devices that need LSB MIDI messages? (Which seems like not many correct?)

It’s a bit confusing but if you upload a picture then it should be easier to give a good answer.