Midi controller - Launch Control XL

No, you will still need a midi USB host

Iā€™d live to revive this topic because i think having a Midi controller with the Digitakt (or any other Elektron devices) is really opening up so much more potential for live recordings/performances which is what Iā€™m personally very much interested in.

Letā€™s see what weā€™ve got so far on this topic:

• Novation Launchcontrol XL is the best option out there as a controller but its connectivity is for laughing. What kind of Midi controller doesnā€™t have a proper MIDI output?
  • Itā€™s sad that Novation didnā€™t think of this and all their controllers have that lame USB controller only. In order to connect it with a 5-pin MIDI input you need a Midi-Usb host which costs more than 100ā‚¬.
  • Itā€™s sad the Elektron didnā€™t even think about this. A simple Midi controller for the Digi-devices would have been absolutely MAGIC.
  • FaderFox Midi controllers are much higher quality controllers and they have mini-jack MIDI outputs which can easily connect with a 5-pin MIDI input with a simple cheap cable. Only problem with these is obviously the higher cost but also the fact that their cheapest models PC4 and EC4 donā€™t haveā€¦ FADERS (!?).
  • Another cool Midi-Controller is the N32B Shik but the price point also doesnā€™t justify the lack of faders.
  • An iPad is also an option as a midi-controller but itā€™s not really the same, innit?
1 Like

Yeah, finding a proper midi controller with faders is a challenge. You also have GRID for intech studio.

I opted to simply get a cheap launch control (the one without faders) it cost me about 50,-

now, I simply need some faders at some point

hi,
just in case one has an axoloti board,
i did an axoloti patch that can handle launchcontrol XL to control the digitakt :

Work best with the axo-control extension board to control reverb, delay & compressor.

@ThanosF
You might look at the Faderfox UC4 with faders:
http://www.faderfox.de/uc4.html

Now youā€™ve got 5 wishes, really about time for that star

xone k2 is also pretty good

1 Like

Thatā€™s also an interesting option indeed. Not enough encoders Iā€™m afraid though. Best option from faderfox is MX12 obviously. And thatā€™s the one you see more often. Price is quite high though.

Yes and no. I mean it looks like an interesting MIDI controller but there is not 5-pin MIDI interface. Same problem with the Novation one.

Hello,

Do you think Elektron Tm1 could handle midi usb host for lauchcontrol XL ?

@ThanosF Did you find a solution to your needs in the end?

Nope. Not yet. Iā€™m thinking of saving to get the ultimate MIDI controller, the Faderfox MX12 and get done with it. I refuse to let go of the fact that novation can be so blind. A midi controller can be such an amazing tool for so many instruments. Why limit your device to work with only one thing? It doesnā€™t make sense to me.

I know itā€™s an old post but I think many of your assumptions , that companies ā€˜didnā€™t thinkā€™ is wrong.
The devices suit a specific market ā€¦ and each company had budgets to hit and compromises to be made. Do you honestly think experienced hardware companyā€™s forgot ?

Faderfox made their choices too , and chose a higher price to offer their devices.

Grab an iPad, configure your own controller.
Or buy recent akai / other devices with usb host.

Each device you mention work with many things ā€¦ not ā€˜one thingā€™ ā€¦ hundreds of devices use the same usb sockets / configuration.

Many people consider mini jacks for midi to be a big compromiseā€¦ how could they forget to use ā€˜properā€™ midi sockets.

1 Like

Midi jack to Midi-pin cable is a cheap 5ā‚¬ cable that anyone can buy at anytime. USB-Midi to Midi-pin cable doesnā€™t exist and you need a device that costs more than 100ā‚¬. Make the math.

No i didnā€™t say anywhere that they ā€œforgotā€. Itā€™s just a bad decision. The possibilities of a midi-controller are endless and if you ā€œforgetā€ to put a 5-pin midi interface then you are not doing justice to the potential of your own devices. And itā€™s indeed surprising to see this from Novation but i guess like Roland they are fixated on the ā€œfutureā€ while the market is definitely going backwards to old analogue devices because they donā€™t want to be sitting behind a computer the whole day long.

Anyways, Iā€™ve contacted Novation about this and they were quite cool with responding. They take these considerations quite seriously I would hope. So maybe in the near future we might see something interesting coming out, who knows?

Check out the 2 controllers from nakedboards.
https://nakedboards.org/products

I will buy two of them soon.

1 Like

Did you ever pick these up? I am wondering how easy to set up with DT/DN they are.

Nah I use the DT as it is but it seems to be a very good and easy to set up controller.