MIDI: DIN, TRS or USB connector?

• DIN
  • TRS
  • USB

0 voters

Without knowing anything about the gear, what connector do you prefer?

Personally, i like the TRS connectors because it makes it possible to build slimmer gear, which is nice. I also feel like the TRS to DIN adapter is worth it.

Are there other pros/cons to each option, in your opinion?

USB all the way, preferably USB C (or B if needed). Allows for power, computer, audio, MIDI, all over one cable.

DIN - works with gear from the '80s, '90s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s. Doesn’t require a computer, but can be adapted to computers from each of those decades.

If the device has USB MIDI, it should also have DIN or TRS.

Edit: if it has USB-MIDI only, it doesn’t have MIDI. Eventually something about the USB connection will be FUBARed, whether it’s driver for non-class-compliant, or the USB spec changes (USB C only, no more USB A!) or USB gets deprecated in favor of whatever optical terabit solution people are using in the 2040s.

Not really a hill I’m willing to die on, though. I can manage TRS adapters, I can manage USB hosts. But DIN MIDI is Real MIDI :tm:

2 Likes

I’m fine with DIN or TRS, I don’t think I have a preference, but I chose TRS as it is a bit smaller and neater - if we’re to move forward with a standard that seems the more logical.

USB midi is no use to me, personally.

A2B !

With MIDI 2.0 .

I’m actually surprised by the results this far

TRS B ruined my day yesterday.

1 Like