MIDI interface/merger recommendations?

I’m wanting to sequence a synth from my Octatrack but also be able to play it with a keyboard. I’ve got a couple of things going into the OT, and the ESI Xjam at the start of the chain has no MIDI input unfortunately. Also the keyboard I’m using doesn’t pass through MIDI annoyingly, so I’m probably going to need a box of some kind to take input from the OT and keyboard and merge it out to the synth.

It ideally needs to be a compact little box, and I’d prefer to not spend much on it considering I mostly just need it to merge two MIDI inputs. If there’s good reason to stretch the budget then I might consider it if it’ll have extra utility for future additions to my setup. I assume with a USB connected box I’d be able to send the clock from the OT into a DAW? MIDI stuff isn’t something I have that much experience with so I’m not too sure how it all works.

Any recommendations or things to consider would be appreciated, thanks.

MIDI Solutions Merger; Two Input MIDI Merger

mvmrg

1 Like

If you’re ok with buying used stuff try to find an Emagic MT4. Should cost no more than 20€$. USB-powered, can split and merge Midi. If you’re on a Mac you can even still use it as an interface, not sure about the Windows situation. But it works just fine standalone.

I like the Kenton stuff a little bit than midi solutions — better built and feels more durable. If you want tiny, the Retrokits RK-006 is great.

I am using the Blokas Midihub for exactly this purpose.
https://blokas.io/midihub/

7 Likes

The Blokas MIDIHUB seems the most interesting solution. USB, midi processing for different purposes like polyphony, comb filters pitch control, midi lfos…

Also check Iconnect products. Iconnectmidi2+ is cheap, with USB, iOS compatible…Some midi processing possibilities.

Or buy a cheap second hand simple merger.

Concerning midi merging I have the I connectmidi2+, Midiman/M-Audio Merge 2x2, Roland A880 (huge size)…

1 Like

The Midihub would be my choice.

Also check midi power ability from your gear (required for Midi Solution Merger for instance).

Thanks for the responses. The Blokas box seems great but perhaps quite overkill for what I need. Then again things like MIDI microtuning seem quite enticing…

There’s some other lower priced options I’ve seen on Thomann, like the MRCC XpandR 4×1 and Miditech MIDIface 4x4. I’m not too sure how any of these work in regards to sending MIDI clock from an attached device to a DAW though, the description for some seems to indicate an either/or mode switch between standalone merging and sending the data to the DAW, perhaps there’s latency issues otherwise or something. I’m not entirely sure if I’ll need that functionality but I guess it would be nice to have for synced delay effects and stff. Options for routing might be nice too…

iConnectivity makes some good MIDI products. I had the old iConnect MIDI 2 box and the software was terrible, but then a couple of years ago I got the MioXM and never looked back. It’s overkill for what you need, but if you go for it, you will just plug everything there, set it up and forget about it until you get a new thing to plug in. It’s very good.

1 Like

I use a BomeBox which allows me to do a lot of things in terms of MIDI processing and routing. Coupled with a USB HUB, the possibilities are amazing. I am very satisfied with it.

However, this is overkill compared to what you are asking for.

5$ used class compliant 2x2 interface and that old iPhone that’s been in your drawer collecting dust.

The MT-4 and the MIDI Solutions Merger are great solutions for merging MIDI.

BUT

Do you really need a Merge box?
It seems like the OT should merge your keyboard data with it’s data and send it to whatever channel(s) you specify.

I was doing this previously but it won’t work now because the Xjam doesn’t have MIDI in (though it does have some kind of USB MIDI thru functionality, but it seemed really buggy when I briefly tested it and I don’t want to rely on it), and the keyboard doesn’t pass MIDI through it’s in port so I’m kind of stuck without some other seperate merge box.

What are your thoughts on the X jam? Always been curious about that little thing

Got a Blokas. It’s pretty dope and easy to use. Might be overkill if you’re just needing a merger though.

See also: Home Studio MIDI Setup Recommendations - Multiple Instruments

and: Resources for connecting MIDI hardware

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: the MIDI patch bays with front-panel controls from the late 80s / early-mid 90s have really been my faves.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried many pads in MPCs and such so I can’t offer too much useful comparison in terms of finger drumming, but the velocity and aftertouch are very customisable with proper curves you can make for the velocity.

I mainly like it for being very compact, and having 3.5mm MIDI out so I can hook it up to the Octatrack. I’ve also got it set up so that all the pads are on the global channel so I can quickly choose channels 1-8 with a setup + pad combination on the device itself, there’s a bunch of other stuff you can do on the fly like transposition etc too but I haven’t tried much yet. It has a substantial manual and decent software.

My main annoyance atm is the encoders which I can’t customise other than setting channel/CC, I’d really like to be able to adjust or turn off the acceleration for adjusting sample rate or pitch and they feel a bit too haywire atm.

It’s nothing too fancy tbh but for the price there doesn’t seem to be much competition that has poly aftertouch and a MIDI out port. It also has a foot switch input which is handy, might solder something simple to sit on the desk to use for enabling sustain or something.

I have the A880. No external app needed. There is an AKAI midi patchbay iirc.

1 Like