MIDI mapping Digitakt for live performance - tips, advice?

Hey everyone, I’m in the process of writing and building a live set with 4 Elektron machines - rytm and dt doing drums and some lead / bass sounds, a4 and dn doing bass, leads and atmos.

Controlling 4 machines at once is a challenge, so I’m currently figuring out how I want to control all four with a single MIDI controller.

With the rytm / a4 it’s relatively straight forward, I’ll map to the performance macros.

I’m not quite sure how to approach the dn / dt. The biggest hurdle I’m facing is that the mappings are absolute and not relative. In other words, as soon as I turn an encoder on the MIDI controller, it sets the mapped parameter to 0 (undoing all my careful sound design!). I’m missing a macro layer (like the performance controls on the other machines).

Any tips or suggestions? How do you control your Digitakt or Digitone in a performance?

All ideas welcome!!

What MIDI controller are you using?

I’ve only done this with a LaunchControl hooked up to a Digitakt but I didn’t have any issues with the knobs resetting values to 0 when touched. That sounds like an issue with your controller to me. It might also be getting complicated by your MIDI routing / signal. Is it doing that when you hook the controller directly up to the Digitakt without any other gear in line?

Hope that helps a bit.

Hey, thank you for that :slight_smile:

I should clarify - I haven’t actually done the mapping yet. Just in the planning stages!

So what happens on your end? I had imagined that turning an encoder from 0-127 would snap the addressed parameter to 0. Does it “takeover”, so that it has no effect until you reach the current value of the mapped parameter? The manual is a little vague here!

Hi, have you reached any conclusions ?
I’m currently designing a couple of controller groups at a faderfox EC4. There is a substantial difference in behavior if you are controlling with pots or encoders.
With the Octatrack there is no problem because CC61 makes the OT to respond to encoders with the controls position, with DT and DN that is not truth.