MIDI Sequencer questions...Dark Time?

I do all my sequencing of Hardware through the Octatrack at this time.
I have recently become interested in analog sequencing like Doepfer Dark Time.
I have not purchased one yet but I really like the functions and form.
My question is can any of these functions be performed on the Octatrack MIDI sequencer?
Such as skip steps, jump, running patterns forward/reverse, etc.? It would be great if there was a way…

Does anyone have experience with Dark Time?
I am a little worried that it may become too limited given only 2x8 or 16 steps.
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Prem

hey the ot doesn’t really do that stuff… doepfer is solid, i’d buy a used one no worries but the new price maybe a bit steep for what it does… the beatstep pro looks fun but generally Arturia build quality is pretty lame in my experience… anybody tried it in person?

My question is can any of these functions be performed on the Octatrack MIDI sequencer?
Such as skip steps, jump, running patterns forward/reverse, etc.?

don’t think so.

Does anyone have experience with Dark Time?
I am a little worried that it may become too limited given only 2x8 or 16 steps.

I have both the ot and a dark time and they’re totally different animals. the dark time is a classic analog seq, all its’s supposed to do is generate a groove up to 16 steps in length and then you can mess it up by throwing in jumps, skips et al. If longer patterns, chords (in broader terms: a keyboardist approach) are your thing, stay away from the dark time! its advantage is this oldschool sequencing feel, ie. dialing in the pitch, working completely by ear, drawing variations from skips / jumps / mutes. on top of that is that you can use it with cv or midi gear, sync it externally and the lot. but it’s pointless to use it for anything else than a bass/lead groove or an arp.

The OT on the other hand has more to offer in terms of flexibility: microtiming, stacking up notes into chords, a pretty darn complex arpeggiator, per step note length and volume, longer sequences. the sequencing feels similar (in that respect that you dial in notes with a knob) in both devices, and the ot’s sequencer clearly draws inspiration from the logic of oldschool step sequencers , it’s still its own thing.

so ask yourself if you need it. it’s tons of fun looks great with the wooden sides and all but it’s fairly limited.

I appreciate the replies!
I didn’t think these types of functions were possible on the OT but I thought some people may have some interesting work-a rounds to achieve some of these methods.

As far as Dark Time, it looks great but I think that it may become “limited” as stated above. (Price also being a factor)
I really like the OT MIDI tracks and I am learning new functions all the time.
I just wish it did have some of the more hands on performance as the Dark Time/analog sequencers.
Perhaps I just need to dig deeper to coax out the sounds I’m hearing…
-Prem

As far as Dark Time, it looks great but I think that it may become “limited” as stated above. (Price also being a factor)

well, I bought mine a long time ago on a bargain so I’m in no position to complain about the price factor.
in any case I wouldn’t consider the DarkTime a limited tool. it’s actually very handy for controlling analogs and making arps and bass grooves. I even used it with a vermona DRM1 to make basic drum sequences.
the latest update also has a cool mode that allows custom scales (so that the knobs ‘snap’ only to notes from that scale), but the manual is a bit of a mess, so you have to figure stuff out on your own or directly ask the very helpful mr Doepfer.

If you want something that feels a bit like the Dark Time in the OT, play around more with the midi arpeggiator. it can’t do reverse, but you can set the number of steps, and dial in the notes in a similar way, and as a bonus it has that nifty pitch quantise, where it will keep all steps in a scale which is actually pretty great to play with as well. plus you can change the playback speed ont eh fly with p-locks. lots of win.

1 Like

Look into the MidiAlf instead of the Dark Time. It can do 32 step sequences, has memory, LFOs, CCs, CV, and lots of really fun options for messing up your sequences: reverse and pendulum are standard, but you can also skip steps, double steps, do X steps forward and Y steps back, set intervals… All in real time, some great tricks in there to make the sequences feel alive and way more than just 32 steps. It’s a kit but even if you pay someone to build it it’ll probably still be under the cost of a Dark Time.

+1 on the OT arp. It does note rests, p-lockable legato/ties, arp mode, octave range, you name it. Also, the arp harmonic intervals stack on top of the played note intervals, at independent lengths, which can result in really complex, evolving sequences.
If you had a modular or a lot of CV only gear, a CV seq would make a ton of sense, but you obviously have predominantly midi connectivity if the OT is your current party brain. Is it the “feel” of CV seqing you’re after?

Thanks for all your replies!
It is the feeling and perceived simplicity that I am after.
I really like the Octatrack and it has been great so far as my sequencer brain.
But I am thinking of branding out into semi modular gear.
I really like the idea of tweaking and no presets and the perceived simplicity/immediacy.
I have been researching and reading manuals. I am thinking of Dark Time and possibly Dark Energy or Oberheim SEM PRO (or both! Lol!).
In any case I appreciate everyone’s responses.
Prem