MIDI sequencing Volca Bass with MD

Hi,
I want do use my MD as a sequencer for my Volca Bass.
The Volca Bass is set to MIDI channel 4.
I set up a MID machine on track 16 and set a trig at step 1 just to see what happens. But there is silence. Nothing happens.
Where and how do I tell the MD that it has to “speak” on channel 4 to the Volca Bass?
Please help me.

THX, Denise

Put mid machine 4 on that track. Midi channel is designated by the mid machine number

THX. That works. :slight_smile:

Now another problem.
On the first trig i get a klick-sound even though the trig is enabled.

Play around with the note length . There’s a bug that with very short note lengths, the first few trigs act funny.

1 Like

That works. THX for the tip. :slight_smile:

I have the next problem.

One track is on channel 4 midi-sequencing my Volca Bass on channel 4 as well.
From time to time they don’t sync to each other and the Volca isn’t sequenced. I can’t fix it but next day for example I power on both units and all works fine. A failure that comes and goes - makes me crazy.

Any ideas?

Not sure but you need to try to isolate the problem.
Try a different midi cable. Try something other than your volca to test the MD midi output when the issue occurs, then you can tell if its your MD or Volca that has problems.

1 Like

I bought another MIDI-cable. The cable was the problem.

Remember that MD is not a melody sequencer. MD triggers only one note per channel (can’t play chromatic). It’s hard to sequence some kind of melody.

It’s better idea to use Volca internal sequencer. It has chromatic, slide and p-locks too :))

Huh? You can p-lock the note changes/melody with a MID machine. Additionally, the MD allows you to enter up to three notes to play per step so you could essentially play up to a chord triad per step, p-locking each step. In fact, “playing a melody” on a MID machine is far easier than a ROM machine because you can at least specify the note value on a MID machine. (E3 for the first note, +semitones for the other 2)
But I agree with you, if you’re sequencing something with a sequencer, your best and easiest bet would be to synch those two sequencers and play through that sequencer.

1 Like

Of course you can plock notes and chords., but picking every single note by the knob is so much cumbersome, and takes so much time. Indeed MD sequencer is designed mainly as a Drum sequencer.

But of course it’s a matter of personal preference and expected workflow speed. peace:)

Is there ANY way to record midi notes on MD? (record the sequence on 16 note range (W/ 16 midi machines) then put all of those triggers (note parameter) on ONE track?)
It just can be a killer feature for that piece of steel!
I want to sequence my MicroKorg on it (and use my mpc only for static samples (and triplets :wink: ) )

No.

No. [/quote]
Anyway, I love my MD ^^