MIDI Thru box

Does anyone have experience with the MIDI Solutions T8?

It looks like one of the few MIDI thru boxes remaining in existence that has more than four ports. The only thing that worries me is that it is MIDI powered. I think this is really cool because in no way do I need more things to plug into outlets but I am just concerned for the stability of the power.

I plan to go from OT out -> MD in, MD thru -> MIDI box, then out to the rest of my synths. Any idea if the Machinedrum can power this box?

I have the smaller version (1x4) version of that and it works fine. I’ve never had any problems.

2 Likes

Following is a list of products that have been reported NOT to provide power to the MIDI Solutions products (some of these products are no longer in production):

- Aardvark DirectPro 24/96
- Ahlborn DS-26
- Akai MAX49, MPC500, MPD24, MPK series keyboards, XR20
- Apple MIDI interface
- Alesis DM10, ControlPad, Micron, Q and QX series keyboards, SamplePad, SR18, Trigger|iO, USB-MIDI Cable, Vortex
- Artisan Micro-MIDI Controller Board
- Arturia BeatStep, Minibrute SE
- Basyn MIDI Controller
- Boss FC-50, GT-5, GT-8, GT-10, GT-100, GT-Pro, RC-50, RC-300
- Brunetti Vector
- Cadac A,E,F,J-Type Consoles
- Classic Organ Works MIDIjetPro
- Clavia C1, C2, G2, Nord Electro 3, Nord Electro 4D, Nord G2X, Nord Stage, Nord Stage 2
- CME U2MIDI, U-Key, WIDI-X8
- Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Prophet '08, Tempest, Tetra
- Digico SD8
- Digidesign 003 Factory and Rack, Command|8
- Digitech GNX4, GSP1101, VHM5
- E-MU 0404 USB 2.0, Xboard 49 and 61, Xmidi 1x1
- Echo Audiofire 2/8/12, Layla3G
- Edirol UM-1 and UM-2 USB MIDI Interfaces (the newer UM-1EX and UM-2EX do provide power), UA-25
- Elektron Machinedrum MK1, Monomachine MK1
- ENGL Special Edition E670
- ESI MIDIMATE II
- Faderfox DJ2, DX2, LX2
- Fagerström Technopipes
- Fatar Studio-37
- Focusrite Saffire, Scarlett
- Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx Ultra
- Galanti Praeludium
- General Music pk5
- GigRig G2
- G-Lab GSC-2, GSC-3
- Hammond XK-1
- High End Systems MIDI/LTC Widget
- Hosa USM422
- iConnectivity iConnectMIDI2+, iConnectMIDI4+
- IK Multimedia iRig
- Ion KEY 49
- JLCooper MCS2
- Ketron Audya
- Korg KP3, earlier models of the Triton Studio, X50
- Kurzweil MIDIBoard, PC3X
- Line6 MIDI Mobilizer
- M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Midisport 1x1, 2x2, 4x4 USB MIDI Interfaces (the 8x8 does provide power), Oxygen 25, ProKeys Sono 88, Radium
- Master Gaita Master Gaita
- Moog Little Phatty, MP-201, Taurus 3 Bass Pedals
- Musictech Music Maker
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, Maschine MK2, Traktor Audio 10
- Nobels MF-2
- Novation Impulse keyboards, nio 2/4
- Radikal Technologies Spectralis 2
- Redpipes Classic
- Rock Band 3 Wireless Keyboard Controller
- Roland A-33, A-37, AX-7 (older models), FR-3, FR-18, GR-20, GR-55, HD-1, JV-90, PC Series keyboards, PK-5 (PK-5A doesprovide power), TD-4, TM-2, V-Piano, VG-99
- RME Babyface, Fireface 800, HDSP 9632
- Samson Carbon 49
- Starr Labs AirPower
- Steinberg Midex 8
- Strymon Timeline
- Studiologic MP-117, Numa Nano, Numa Nero, TMK 88
- Tascam 2488neo, DP-01, DP-02CF, US-122
- TC Electronic Flashback X4, G-System
- TC-Helicon VoiceLive Rack
- Technics SX-F100, SX-FA1, SX-G100, SX-GA1, SX-GA3
- Use Audio Plugiator
- Vestax PAD-One
- Voce MIDI Drawbar, V3
- Yamaha 01X, AW2400, EZ-TP, GT1, GT2, i-MX1, KX8, KX61, MOX8, NP-30, NP-31, P Series keyboards, PSR275, WX7
- Zoom G9.2tt

2 Likes

I have a MKII so things are looking good.
A little odd the DSI stuff doesn’t support MIDI power.

1 Like

I use the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru, powered from my OT -
everything fine so far

2 Likes

I have the 1x4 as well. Works fine. Don’t remember exactly where it is in my setup though

1 Like

I have the midi solutions quadra thru (passive) and it works very well, never had an issue.

2 Likes

There’s no such thing as “MIDI power” and as handy as these boxes can be, they don’t really operate within the physical specifications of the MIDI standard.

Kenton still offers a powered thru box with 5 outputs, and you can often find second-hand thru boxes with more than four outputs on eBay. The Philip Rees V8 and V10 are especially nice.

If you have a soldering iron, you can get a kit of a 6-output MIDI thru “box” from https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/midisplit-1-input-6-output-midi-splitter/ that you can power with a simple USB power supply from an old phone or tablet.

And if you don’t mind self-sourcing components, you can also get a more conventionally shaped PCB for a 5-output thru box from http://midisizer.com/midithru/

1 Like

Does that mean we’re missing out on something?
I have mine powered by a SP606 and haven’t had any issue as long as it’s powered on to power the thru box.

1 Like

If it works for you it works for you. You can’t really damage anything. It’s just that you can always end up with a device that won’t work with your unpowered thru box.

1 Like

If it works for you it works for you. You can’t really damage anything. It’s just that you can always end up with a device that won’t work with your unpowered thru box.[/quote]
Yeah, my rig is packed neatly in a flightcase
so it’s pretty easy to turn on the sp606 so that I can fiddle with something else. It all acts a single instrument really as long as everything is powered on.

Midi Solutions Thru boxes perfectly work for me with my A4, be they according to official Midi spec or not.

Some devices won’t properly power those boxes but before you go through the pains of building your own thru box from scratch you can always just build your own power supply for Midi Solutions gear instead of buying their expensive power supply. All you need is a USB power adapter, two Midi sockets, a usb type B socket and of course a USB cable. That should be around 15$ all together.

USB gives 5V so no need for any voltage regulation. You just hook it straight up.

1 Like

I need to get a MIDI thru box, I’m looking at the Miditech one because it’s cheap and it has MIDI filter functions. However, it is MIDI powered which raises some questions

http://miditech.de/en-248-produkte-midithru

Does being MIDI powered mean there is a latency?

Is the Octatrack capable of supplying this MIDI power?

Is it more reliable to have a MIDI thru box with ac power?

Any useful advice is welcome! :slight_smile:

I have this. I have the OT going to three devices (AR, M32 and MIDI/USB for iPad) Works fine. No latencyĂ­, as far as I can tell. Machines start right up at clock.

I’ve been meaning to work out the in-depth filter options over computer (the M32’s internal sequencer begins if it receives clock), but as far as power, I haven’t had an issue yet.

2 Likes

I moved this here because some useful info is already detailed above, plus there are a few other existing threads to glean some insights from, it’s helpful to collate them all together so the info is shared well :thup:

2 Likes

Thanks, plenty of useful info here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/shop/standalone-instruments-1/midi-thru-box/

2 Likes

i scored one of these to replaced my midi solutions one. also use kentons merge box to feed controllers to the mnm. And finally, midi solutions midi processor plus is nice and simple to use midi filter (albeit, a bit overpriced).

Midi powered doesn’t matter except having to have turn whatever pets it on.

1 Like

Is there a specific reason you upgraded from ‘MIDI powered’ to an ‘ac powered’ thru box?

I had a look at the Erica box but the huge power supply puts me off (I’m in uk so it would also require an adaptor). I have a compact Mackie mixer that uses a similar power supply and it’s just not convenient.

1 Like

You can only push things so far, I’m not trying all 4 ports of my MIDIMAN (Now M-Audio) Thru 1x4 but i can drive two midi streams from my battery powered Korg SQ1 midi out no probs 
 no PSUs anywhere, but i have an older Korg MIDI KMT6 Thru box which has 6 outs and that needs a psu !

EDIT: and as explained elsewhere above, some devices don’t offer up the juice at all !!

1 Like