Mimi Parker has died

“Friends, it’s hard to put the universe into language and into a short message, but She passed away last night, surrounded by family and love, including yours. Keep her name close and sacred. Share this moment with someone who needs you. Love is indeed the most important thing.”

17 Likes

Sad to heart this, RIP Mimi.

1 Like

Powerfully sad to read this :disappointed:

1 Like

Low are one of the reasons I’m still here.

I bought Things we lost in the fire during a really bad week when I was about 18 or whatever with the last money I had, because I didn’t think I’d be around much longer to need any more money. Jesus Christ I think I cried for about a week. For me, Low’s music, and especially Mimi and Alan’s voices (I hate singers usually) provided me with essential catharsis and therapy at times when nothing else could reach me. Sounds hyperbolic probably, but they really did keep me going through some tough shit. My debt of gratitude to them is huge.

Every Christmas morning for the last 23 years the first thing I do is listen to Mimi sing Blue Christmas. There really is nothing on Earth like listening to her sing that song.

It’s a fucking tragedy that she’s gone so young.

35 Likes

Damn. I love Low. Saw them live in Denton at Rubber Gloves over a decade ago. Terrible news.

I’ve also had a 23 year ritual of listening to that Christmas album every Christmas day, being a bit of a curmudgeon it’s about the only thing that makes the festive period bearable for me.

Shed a tear about this last night, very sad indeed.

5 Likes

I discovered their music only recently, with the release of their latest album “Hey What”… Their music is so beautiful, so emotional, it often brings to joy or to tears. I was really sad when I learned about Mimi’s death yesterday…

That is so sad… I saw Low play once, around 2001 or 2002 for Things We Lost In The Fire at the Metro in Sydney… An amazing set, highlights being from memory Sunflower and a cover of Joy Division’s Transmission… Going to have to break out some Low records this week.

Very sad…
Been listening to Low on and off for quite a few years now, always powerful music. Double Negative remains a highlight for me.

In The Fishtank 7, an EP with The Dirty Three, a mesmerising cover of Down By The River, first EP of theirs I bought all the way back in the day…

1 Like

That’s awful news, absolutely gutted for Alan to have the devastating loss of a partner combined so cruelly with your art.

Gutted too that one of a handful of acts who continue to reach through to me has lost its heart. Her harmonies were peerless. What a shock for someone so young too.

4 Likes

I’ve been following Low since 2005’s “The Great Destroyer” (also picked up most of their back catalogue). Their two most recent albums took on new challenges and succeeded brilliantly. Almost thirty years after forming, when most of their peers had broken up, were making forgettable music, or were touring their debut albums, Low were on fire. This is a cruel loss. (I know what I’m listening to on tomorrow’s commute…)

1 Like

Yup, this one hurts……

1 Like

sad news, absolutely love secret name and the christmas album. wish i still had the cds but i sold them, the youtube vids dont do the music justice. those voices and harmonies, damn. rest in paradise.

Yeah, one of my favourite bands for about 20 years. I’m heartbroken in a way I don’t think any musician passing has made me. RIP.

4 Likes

One of my favorite songs of all time. Such a haunting voice. I feel like they were really moving into a strong new era. So sad.

3 Likes

Yes. The song writing was great as ever, but the production on last trio of albums (with BJ Burton) was increasingly more experimental. I remember my first listen to the Quorum (opener for Double Negative), I was even not sure whether it is not a coincidence in the band’s name…
I am so saddened by this…

1 Like

Yes, I love their work with BJ Burton. Incredible energy. Listening to Double Negative on repeat today.

1 Like

My warm feelings for those who stay and loved her.

4 Likes

My favourite era was the indie rock with subtle electronic touches albums when they were on Kranky. Last two are definitely second, though.