Mini portable speaker/monitor with size constraints

I’m looking for a compact speaker/monitor to update my studio case audio.
My main constraint is the size, as I roughly have a space with either:

• a 25cm width x ~5cm height x ~7cm depth
  • a 15.5cm width x ~7cm height x ~7cm depth
    As you can see, the height is the main constraint (it’s a case so the speaker will be facing top), otherwise my choice would have been 2x Minirig Mini 2.

Here’s what I’m looking for besides the size:

• Stereo (or 2 x speakers)
  • 3.5mm input
  • USB or battery powered rechargeable with USB
  • Frequency response as flat as possible, with a decent bass extension (but given the size constraint…)

Currently the only one I found available to match my needs would be a Bose SoundLink mini 2 SE, but it’s far from a having a flat response and quite old…

Would you have better suggestions?

they’re not USB powered and I think they won’t fit in such small space… But if there’s anything you could do at all about that, I would suggest looking at the iLoud Micros. I bet they have a way flatter response than any kind of Bluetooth speaker on the market.

3 Likes

For sure, but they’re way too big for my need. I have proper monitors for studio time, here I’m looking for something portable to go within my case when I’m not in the studio. I don’t expect it to be anywhere close to monitor quality, just to be decent enough for with me design and jamming.

headphones?

1 Like

Sure, but when I want to share with other people?

I have an Anker Soundcore Boost. The Soundcore 3 is apparently 6.75" x 2.25" x 2.25" / 16 cm x 5.7cm x 5.7 cm, not sure if that will fit in your space. Zero bass, though.

Edit: looks like the Soundcore 3 dropped the Line In jack. Also, I have the Soundcore Boost, not 2. 2 doesn’t seem to have the line-in.

There are a ton of cheap clones in the same form factor. I doubt sound quality changes much, but look for one with a line in. Alternately, something like this mini-speaker set can often be found much, much cheaper. I have a nearly identical set that I got at a Japanese dollar store for around $5.

1 Like