Miserable git moans about gear design

I dont demand they are changed either - I just dont buy Make Noise stuff ! (Well, I have a Function, but that is all) - I loathe the UI so much !!! (They make nice stuff but it hurts my eyes !)

1 Like

haha - it’s not just your problem and I can also be a miserable git.
I’ve been using VCV Rack more recently and there are Instruo modules there that scare the life out of me. That Bastl Thyme is an abomination. No matter how good it might be at doing whatever it does I could never buy one. My head explodes just looking at it.
The Make Noise stuff on the other hand does have a beautiful aesthetic in my eyes… Though the Strega does look at bit more raNdoM…
If there’s one thing I cannot handle it’s multiple fonts or typefaces being used all over the place and some are just so fucking cheesy. Why use that horrific type on the Disting for example? (I’ve painstakingly designed type from scratch and I’m a complete snob when it comes to design)

2 Likes

Grayscale | Eurorack Modular Synth Front Panels ill just post this incase people aren’t aware of the 3rd party panels.

1 Like

I think it says a lot about my neurology that every single one of those grayscale overlays is an improvement on the original.

7 Likes

As an extra miserable git moan… I could also never buy any gear made by Roland simply because of how it looks. Fucking awful fairground ride attractions. (they do sound good though ;))

1 Like

Its weird, I think some if the makenoise stuff has a alien/ancient/mystique to it, which looks nice to me, but for productivity I find it almost unbearable.

9 Likes

Just different folks for different things! Im not neuro typical either (but not on the autistic spectrum). I quite like the fonts as to me , it relates to how the modules sound almost. To me i really like the multidisciplinary art aspect that comes out of it. Like e.g how Intellijels panels are more clean cut and concise reflect how their modules are or how a lot of Moog interfaces reflect their sound. For sure there is a psychology of this , that i am not qualified to even speculate on! But i would love to know what an expert thought of all this!

4 Likes

I think it looks cool. But it’s not as clearly designed as the 0-Coast, I agree; a major difference is the touchplates and their placement, which I would definitely add to the more random-looking aesthetic. I’d guess they’ve been placed like that for ergonomic reasons (or maybe just to annoy miserable gits :smile: )

3 Likes

Great point , you would argue ergonomically , they should be near the bottom or something , so you could control them a bit like the MN pressure points. There must be a method to the madness , or simply the method IS madness xD

3 Likes

never understood pretentious/baroque gear design.

design has to be functional to get a piece of gear used efficiently.
unless it’s an exclusive specimen for some superstar that is rather intended to look cool on pics/vids than do actual job.

P.S. that’s also the reason why i don’t like most of fancy custom overlays — they are as usual poorly readable.

5 Likes

I really love the sound & ( apparent ) functionality of a lot of the Make Noise stuff…the exact reason I own precisely none of their modules or gear is beacuse of the damn design & labelling.

I can’t read it. I can’t decipher it. Yess I am probably an old fuddy duddy, but I just want clear lay-outs & non-cryptic terminology. This doesn’t stop manufacturers from designing beautiful looking instruments IMHO.

6 Likes

It is not pretentious, because you don’t like it.

The idea of everything being designed, as to not confuse or disturb anybody, sounds like a nightmare to me.

4 Likes

of course, it’s not.

but gear design can be unusual and functional at the same time.

10 Likes

And I think that that thing is an absolute design-abomination. Just goes to show the simple, but forever elusive point, that we are all different, and like different things.

1 Like

Exactly this, I look at the 0 coast and think what ???

1 Like

The glyph phenomenon is most unwelcome. I adore(d) a lot of Mutable modules but ultimately can’t use the originals (or the ports that retain the original front panels) because of the glyphs.

I appreciate both Mutable front panels and Make Noise panels for their aesthetics, but not for their functionality.

Same with these, I don’t get the layouts and diagonal lines

6 Likes

I think the Modor. Might be the materials used in the others that I don’t fancy.

I personally love cryptic/convoluted layouts, I think they force you to think in a less logical way. The QPAS literally has some patch point labelled “!!¡¡”, aha, so the “Make Noise experience” invites you to let go of expectations and just try new stuff. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think the Make Noise stuff looks really fun and interesting but never used any. Although in a live setting, if something were to go wrong and you’re under P, I think I would have a total meltdown trying to decipher those doodles…fuk that.

1 Like