Miserable git moans about gear design

So I was having a look at that new Make Noise thingy whatever and, even though I have nothing against the sounds coming out of it, my overriding feeling was one of “bugger me that thing looks a mess”.

I mean, look at it…

I’m all for new and interesting ideas, but this just strikes me as fairly simple (but definitely interesting and effective) ideas being dressed up in silly, confusing interfaces.

The Strega is clearly related to the Lyra, albeit more a distant cousin than sibling. But look at the Lyra. It manages to lay itself out in such a way that it can be understood fairly quickly (but not mastered for many years).

And look at the Moog Grandmother, manages to look super interesting without compromising on usability.

I don’t want to single out Make Noise, there’s plenty of other people doing it.
Like that Bastl Thyme. The layout mostly makes sense, but the graphics are all over the place. Literally makes my eyes hurt.

My problem seems to stem from eurorack world, where a lot of modules look as well thought out as the wiring loom of an Alpha Romeo.

Yes, this looks great, but it just makes me a bit anxious looking at it.

It’s obviously my problem, as all this stuff seems wildly popular. But is it popular because it’s good, or because it looks good, or both?

Or is it just about saying “hey, look how complicated this thing is, aren’t we clever!”

Or should I just go back in my cave?

I’m not looking to get into a list of all the stuff we think is shit, I’m just curious about what draws people to instruments that look like C3PO’s intestinal tract.

81 Likes

Miserable git makes me laugh :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I have a large Make Noise system. It can look very intimidating. Its a part of their aesthetic. In fact some people have so much of an issue with the look of it they buy different panels so its easier to read. So your not the only one. I’ve come to quite enjoy it , but i also have over 3 years experience using it. Its a bit like using Octatrack for the first time , but if you also had to contend with a quirky user interface. So i totally get it. I’d even add , that the QPAS (a stereo filter) has wildcard inputs for modulation. Which are on purposed obfuscated so you try out different parameters with it.

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, although I like the sound of the Strega. Another user interface that make me cringe is the Expert Sleepers Disting EX plus alpha :

5 Z 6
1 X 3
2 Y 4
Just for that I’m willing to sell mine…

11 Likes

Its a tough one , but i don’t think there is much option due to the HP constraints

4 Likes

Yeah, imagine being dyslexic and looking at that disting. But I can see the need for that, it’s all about fitting the most function into the smallest space, rather than trying to be some sort of design aesthetic.

1 Like

I agree with miserable git. Make noise is easy to single out due to its popularity and yes, their modules are great but the interface on most, if not all, are all over the place.

I get it that it’s good to be different and mix it up but what happened to simplicity? I am a simple man after simple things.

After all, shouldn’t they concentrate on how it sounds rather than looks?

4 Likes

I agree, whilst I can appreciate the artwork of makenoise etc from a readable perspective they are not good. There are various aftermarket panels for some modules, so it indicates that a lot of people feel the same way.

I think for me I appreciate simple easy to read panels and interfaces, I don’t enjoy using stuff that interrupts workflow by having to consciously think about what a particular glyph means. Call it lazy or reluctance to learn the meanings, but I think it is just pragmatism really - VCF or Env means the same thing on any piece of gear, artsy squiggles often don’t.

6 Likes

yes I know and I understand as well the reason but it’s still a bad design :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think you’re right.

3 Likes

When designing for mass production like Philips where usability is key to a positive user experience, designers shouldn’t be able to express theirselves if it hinders the use of the product.

However in a niche like eurorack, designers can get crazy, yeah why not? A huge part of make noise brand identity is their crazy visuals artstyle

8 Likes

Slow Clap…

3 Likes

I used to work at a university supporting neurodiverse students (mostly ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism).
Most of them would recoil in horror at some of the Make Noise stuff, but a couple of the guys with ADHD would probably have got on really well with them. There’s a certain neurological aspect to design and what works really well for one will obviously work different for another.
I’m just wondering if there’s a touch of that neurology behind some of the stuff that Make noise et.al. are creating.

8 Likes

Also I’m on the autistic spectrum and these kind of designs can be the reason not to buy the product, no matter how awesome the product is otherwise.

11 Likes

Alpha owner?

Hard Nope
looked at Chiltons manuals, though…
:grimacing:

3 Likes

That’s the thing, a lot of these designs can pose a significant barrier to a lot of people using them and if it’s just design for design’s sake, that seems a little off message in an increasingly inclusive corner of the world.

4 Likes

For people who feel the same might be worth taking this autism test, obviously it isn’t a medical diagnosis but could be an indicator.

10 Likes

I want to add, I think what we need to understand that a lot of these companies are founded by people that often stop their regular jobs to do what they are passionate about. They run fairly small operations with teams that do all the design work from a deep love to the brand/product.

As a result they release very personal projects, almost like a painting or a pierce of music. As a designer myself I totally get that the interface design is the icing on the cake of the project and usually the moest fun part. That’s when you can express and fully finish your vision of the project/product visually.

15 Likes

I agree, I don’t think I’d demand or even expect the designs to be changed, but it would sure be nice if more consideration was given at the design stage, tough call though - as you said earlier, there may be some people who find them much easier to read? Don’t know.

3 Likes