Mixed Martial Arts - UFC

Anyone here also into MMA and/or the UFC in particular?

I realise I have few friends in the city I currently live in who are actually into this (my martial arts buddies all live in London, makes for lonley viewing here in Berlin :joy:)

Last night’s victory of Israel Adesanya over Alex Pereira was stunning, those two have such an interesting history together and have handled themselves so well in victory and defeat alike, inspiring stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, big ufc/MMA fan here. Decent card last night. Good finish by Adesanya though I think he was a bit lucky - he ate a couple of good shots before he caught him.

2 Likes

Awesome man! :slight_smile:

Yes absolutely agree! I find the space between these two guys to be so razor thin, luck is a big factor in how things turned out between them in each of their four fights.

I thought last night’s card was a little thin on paper, but eg Rob Font’s finish of Yanez was a great display of heart.

Masvidal retiring seems the right move for me too, he looked tired, slow and lacking conviction against Burns (already looked that way against Covington).

3 Likes

Masvidal was done when Usman knocked him out. I quite liked Masvidal - charismatic and obviously could strike, but I don’t think he was ever at the top table so it’s good he retires now before he takes any more damage. I imagine he’ll get plenty of punditry/colour commentary work.

What did you think of Bones win recently?

2 Likes

Yeah, Usman’s knockout of Masvidal took something away from him for sure!

Jon Jones fight against Cyril Gane…man, that’s a difficult one for me. I mean, Jon Jones is Jon Jones, no denying his skill level and greatness and he put away Cyril Gane in a way that none of the others have done before hjm…but I also think the UFC (with the unvoluntary help of Joe “The greatest of all time” Rogan :joy:) are trying to make us forget Francis Ngannou so I feel the way they hyped that victory was a little over the top. Cyril Gane is a relativ beginner in MMA, I thought Bones was spot on when he said that Cyril is the most imcomplete fighter in the heavyweight devision…the fact that he could rise to top contender just shows me the state of that weight class.

I thought Jon Jones last few fights at Light Heavyweight were very cautious and points focussed…so I’m glad he was a little more aggressive here. But I want to see him fight Stipe or Francis, that will tell us a lot more about where he stands as a heavyweight actually.

Controversial take maybe. How did you feel about it?

2 Likes

Bones is ‘one of the best to ever do it’ but he’s not the fighter he was 10 years ago. Gane looked like he had stage fright and practically froze. Good finish by Bones but he wouldn’t have taken out Miocic or Ngannou with that level of attack. Overall the heavyweight division is poor and always has been - most of the big guys just rely on TTD and a heavy punch and that is why bones will likely beat everyone - but it’s the heavyweights and he will get caught eventually, they all do.

2 Likes

As a izzy hater and Alex fan, i was spewing lol. Oh wells…that’s the price i pay for getting invested into the sport.

2 Likes