Mixer (like instrument)

Please I need your advice:
I currently have OT and will probably get Syntakt shortly. I play tekno.
I am looking for a mixer with a lot of filters and effects that I can use like an instrument. I was thinking of Allen Heath DB4 or PX5: your opinion ? Thanks.

…the px5 is a lifetime investment…on stage as in the studio…

Why you want a dj mixer to manage instruments? Not a good choice

1 Like

Why not use the OctaTrack as the mixer? It kind of excels at that.

Why not?

Actually I watched a video of Dave Mech using a DB4 with Elektron gears (DT and DN not OT I agree) and it sounds powerful

I use à xone 96 to jam (at home) and it is fantastic. The faders, Dj eq, filters and 2 sends are very playable, more than a studio mixer in my opinion.

I think the advantage with dj mixers is having a single set of controls over each stereo channel. If you’re performing live or recording the stereo outs of an Elektron or other groovebox it’s much easier to perform filter sweeps, manual fade ins or outs, eq adjustments etc. with a single set of controls per (stereo) channel. I think most hardware musicians who perform with dj mixers are looking to integrate the mixer as part of the performance (treating each instrument like a deck) vs. using the mixer to balance out the relationship between single instrument channels (drum busses, bass channels etc.).

If I’m playing live, I don’t want to ride two volume faders for my DT and then have to tweak two mono channels of eq. Plus most traditional mixers do not have lp/hp filters which is a big part of performance mixing between songs/transitions etc.

1 Like

Ok I got it. My mixing workflow is studio oriented and I’ve never used the gear this way, but I can understand the different approach.
Obviously you have to use adapters for cables (a dj mixer works with rca in) not a big issue though

1 Like