Mixers 2020

It’s the N-series, right? Should be absolutely fine according to a friend I trust :blush::+1:

1 Like

Via ADAT

cool! tks mate

Sadly not. It’s MW series. Reviews are all decent. Sound on Sound said it sounded “surprisingly good” when they reviewed it at £270, it’s here tomorrow now anyway, so i’ll know soon enough.

1 Like

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

I have my eye on a 2nd hand Allen&Heath z-14 if it’s crap. I can’t imagine that that wouldn’t be up to standard.

1 Like

Zed14 is a pretty good mixer! The eqs are actually usable, quite ‘musical’ sounding even.
Four (2 post, 2 pre) aux sends, master inserts…not only decent in terms of connectivity, also sounds really good compared to other mixers that price range (imho ofc).

I never used the usb audio interface, though.
Only 16 bit/44.1khz and bad reviews.
Never planned to use it, though anyways^^

1 Like

Also, a Soundcraft signature 12 available. It has those DBX limiters and Eventide verbs plusb USB sends. I got the Yamaha from a retail 2nd hand shop, so I can just return it in store no issues if it’s not up to much.

1 Like

Not the MTK version (that can send individual channels through the usb audio interface), right?

I’d always buy analog mixers without fx, because I know I wouldn’t wanna use them anyway. Those fx are usually super shit.
Nice to have for a live gig, but I’d rather bring a small multi fx unit then…
Zed 14 has 4 stereo tracks, 3 on the Signature 12 - how important are stereo tracks for you?

The Mongos sent it without a PSU, I just ordered a new instead.

1 Like

Zed14 has an internal psu, just needs the cable :slight_smile:

Soundcraft tend to have Lexicon effects built in, not Eventide, they’re usually decent though. I quite like the plate reverb in my EFX.

1 Like

I just wanted to post my current routing that I find works the best for most of my needs. Got a Mackie 1202 and have some Elektron synths, an Octatrack an an Analog Heat. Every synth + the Octatrack goes into a different stereo channel on the Mackie. The Alt Bus on the mackie routs the signal through the Heat and then feeds it to the Octatrack’s AB input. This way I’m able to freely bypass or heat up the signal before it goes into the OT for further sampling / transitions and I don’t have to change cables when wanting to perform live instead of record. It took some time to figure it out but I think that’s the most optimal way to use all those devices together.

3 Likes

solid mixer. great build quality. nice long throw faders. EQ is nice and AUX options are plentiful. one down side is if you’re using all AUX’s, it’s basically a six channel mixer, since you’ll need some way to get those sources back into it. when I had it, I think I used the 2TRK and ST RTN’s (with 1/4->RCA cables) for some of this, to try to free up some channels. the other downside is the converters are over a decade old, and even when it came out they weren’t exactly highly regarded.

BUT it’s a great mixer otherwise. if you max out the channels, a patch bay could help (only route to/from it what you’re using for a given track). and you can always start with those converters and expand to something better later.

2 Likes

Yep, 2x stereo returns this way without sacrificing stereo channels.
You can send the signal directly to the main out (like a normal return signal) or send the signal through the channel (there’s a switch right under the level poti). The stereo signal that is plugged into the 1/4" jacks then shares the channel with that signal.

Quite cool for running 2x stereo signals into the mixer that do not need eq/do not need individual eq settings).

Just picked up a soundcraft mtk12. Pretty great for my current setup.

I got the smaller one, 10c it has two sends, two stereo. I should be ok, I can sample to the E-MU for stereo. I’ll see what I can do with it and if not I’ll just return it and get a new z-14, about £150 more. I won’t max that out, I’m just using DN,DT,EMU and a Microvolt. I’m not getting anything else apart from Eurorack expansions and outboard fx, though I’m thinking a Akai 3000xl might be more useful and that has about 8 outs.

I’m trying to keep it all as small as possible for now, but if doesn’t work it’s no big deal.

Well I opted for the Tascam Model 12. That thing ticks a ton of boxes and felt a little more future proof than the Behringer XR18. Obviously less inputs but the multitracking via USB or locally really appealed to me.

Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum of what a lot of mixers in here are but I’ve still been loving my master sounds, their radius series had a decent price drop this year with them switching to some surface mount stuff. They are still a bit spendy, but a great solution for a minimal set up, the isolator EQ and highpass filters are excellent. I’ve been surprised at how useful the VU meters and full cut with the EQ are for quickly getting a general idea of what is going on in the different spectrums in my music as well and then fixing up problem areas, It is a bit fast and loose given the EQ isn’t parametric but it works for my applications. I would still rate it as a luxury item at its pricing/function but it certainly is nice to play with.

3 Likes

Very cool but those RCA inputs…