Mixers 2020

It’s 2x stereo DJ mixer. Phono vs Xlr vs jack really doesn’t matter.

So the Z10 came and finally got everything wired up. Yeah it’s really nice, seems good value. The construction quality between it and the Yamaha is night and day, no competition. The API style eq’s are really nice, for what it all cost. Shelves are good too, it just sounds right. Good sound, seems like you can push it a bit, no noise.

Only downside so far is you can’t use the USB send are record targets at the same time. I didn’t expect the USB send to carry the return back as well, that’s nice. Going to keep it and probably get the z-14 when I upgrade from the EMU to a multi out, maybe an Akai 3000xl if I find a decent price.

Haven’t used the sound card for printing, I imagine it’s shite, it’s 16 bit.

Im thinking of switching/adding Ableton Live from Cubase. Have some minor irritations on syncing my Akai Force, but Ableton Link seems very good for this.

What i was wondering is if i can duplicate my cubase setup with my mixer. I have configured about 24 tracks with “direct” audio to and from my mixer channels. So audio from channel 1 goes to track 1. Audio from track 1 goes back to the tape return on my mixer. Then i have made the same amount of group tracks. These get audio via sends of the main channels. But are bussed into the DAW master bus. That way i can do both ITB and OTB mixdowns. Is this possible in Live? :slight_smile:

So I tested the audio interface for recording on the mk1 A&H z series, oh…my…god… they are terrible. You’d be better off bouncing via cassette tape. I thought some of the fx sends sounded bad, but I thought it was because I was in the orange.

1 Like

This is disappointing. I’ve been using a cheap mixer recently and found it just a great addition to workflow. I need an interface for IPad now, and my dream is to get an integrated interface and mixer without spending a billion dollars. The A+H Zedi mixers were on the list :frowning:

The Zed line are really decent analog mixers (especially the larger models are pretty good, stury, many routing options, no nonsense mixers), but don´t buy them for the audio interface.

Yeah, I use a 16 channel Behringer mixer with 4 mono sends and 2 stereo busses. Perfect for sending sounds to different FX units and samplers. It works fine, and while I would have loved to own a fat digital mixing beast, I happily invested the money in sound generation :wink:

It’s Analog, it’s great, just the soundcard is shite. It’s so much faster to use for me, the eq’s aren’t like have an API console, but I genuinely prefer the sound and speed over a lot of my vst plug ins. Obviously not for more surgical stuff…

I don’t have a dedicated one atm, I did have a Motu Ultralite Mk2. TBH, I might just buy/test one of those Motus m4’s because I’m only going to buy a bigger mixer from here on in, not sure, I don’t mind bouncing 12-16 tracks one by one if what I’m bouncing is good. I’d sooner put that extra money towards a UAD QuaD Satellite than buy something with that many ins and great converters.

Either that or an 2nd hand RME.

1 Like

Wait, I can’t get a single combo product at a reasonable cost that meets all my needs? Ridiculous!

I just don’t want to plug and unplug stuff.

Maybe I should just hold out for the new Tascam 12 - maybe it’ll meet all my needs (and more)

1 Like

I have a M4 hooked up to a 1202 in my secondary studio space and it’s a great combo. Sounds really good for the money, nice build quality, easy to use, very minimalistic workflow (there is no software mixer or configurable software, at first I thought that might be a downside but it really isn’t). Midiports are a nice addition. I never found a mixer where the inbuilt audio interface is more than okay or just kind of a gimmick… the M4 / 1202 combo feels a little bit like the good old 4 Track days but with pristine and superb sound quality. I use it with an Ipad and Cubasis and sounds great

1 Like

I’m using a Xone 96 and it’s fantastic both as a mixer (the EQ and extra filters are sounding really good to my ear) and as a double (!) soundcard, works as class compliant with the iPad as well but indeed, it is not cheap, at all.

Still for anyone wanting to invest in quality, I love that mixer!

Soundcraft Signature MTK series, Keith McMillen K-Mix, Behringer X18, Behringer X32, Behringer Xenyx UFX1204/1604, Allen&Heath QU16/32?

Add on PreSonus 16r, 24r, 32r, 32sc

Realistically for £200 with a useable mixer, you’re never going to get a decent interface. You’d be lucky to get a new decent mid-range sounding (USB) interface for £200 about 5 years ago. I never thought it would be much use, but I also forgot how crap interfaces can sound.

The USB send is just about good enough for some plugins. They do have an almost bit reduced sound though, almost like 12 bit noise…

1 Like

What’s not to like then?!

:ecstatic:

2 Likes

If it works it works.

1 Like

I’ve been using a Zedi10 for a while now. It does have a 24bit soundcard, unlike the 16 bit cards in the older Zed series and is fairly useable, but it’s not going to replace a nice Motu or RME interface.
I’ve had the same idea as @vlkr and I’m waiting for a Motu M4 to come back into stock (they’ve had some production problems due to Covid and are out of stock everywhere).
Another caveat about the Zedi10: Channels 1 and 2 (labelled Line/Instrument) are infact Mic or Instrument only. This is contrary to the manual. I’ve had it out with A&H support
about this issue and they admitted the problem but they wouldn’t change the manual.
The 1/4" jack on these channels can only be used as a HiZ input, not a line input. When the Guitar switch is off, the jack is off. Not great if you want 4 mono line in channels. I’ve just been running mono synths into the mic XLRs with the gain turned right down. Actually sounds pretty good, can add a nice bit of drive to a synth.
The line ins on channels 3 and 4 work as expected.
It’s a bit of a shame as I do really like the sound of the mixer and the build quality and size are great but it does have it’s flaws. It was pretty cheap though!

2 Likes

I chose the old one as it has a sweepable EQ on the monos, the new ones don’t. I’m really happy with the rest of it, you can drive it a bit and get some distortion on it, it either works or it doesn’t. Two channels have a valve/tube emu on them and again, it either works or doesn’t. Routing is good, no noise, for the price it’s got to be a bit of a bargain, solid build quality too.

I’ll upgrade to the 14 gladly at some point, now for a while though.

@DampSquid

Yeah, if you set it pre right down it’s clean. I put DT into one of those and Microvolt into the other, you can get a fair range of sound from those two. Doesn’t always sound good though, that is for sure. I didn’t know you couldn’t disable it though.

Not informed about the mono fx possibilities but now that I have a spare Aux Send on my mixer I’m thinking what would be a good effect pedal to connect to it. Trying to achieve an abrasive rough sound but already have a distortion in the Heat.

1 Like

More Distortion, they can all sound very different, I don’t have much knowledge about specific pedals though.

OTO Biscuit if you can find one would be good.