Mixing sub freq. - monitor or subwoofer?

Hi,

I need some advise from people who have experience mixing sub frequencies.
I currently use ADAM ARTist 5 Monitors for mixing my music. Unfortunately the only go down to 50hz, which is not low enough for Techno Production.
(I just again noticed that in a track Im working on, theres a peak at about 40hz, which i cant hear)

So as it seems I have two possibilities: getting new monitors which go down lower or buy a subwoofer. The problem is, I think my neighbors wont be too amused about a subwoofer. So heres my first question:

1. Are Monitors on the table less noticeable for the neighbors, then a subwoofer on the floor?

and another question:

1. How low does the frequency range have to reach to do proper Techno bass mixing? Does it have to be down to 30hz?

Thanks in advance guys!

Many mastering engineers for techno make steep HPF cuts at 32hz and some up to 35hz, depending on the track.
As long as your sub can get down to 30hz, you should be fine.

WHY ?

Maybe a Sub-Pac would do the job? Never used one bf but it seems like it would be perfect for your living situation.

[quote="“vos”"]

WHY ?[/quote]
short version: because technically everything below 100Hz is mostly rumble and more in the “feel” range. Compressors will react to that and are working even when a sub is below 20Hz (which is inaudible). This is mostly unwanted as you are really after to control frequencies.

1 Like

[quote="“vos”"]

WHY ?[/quote]
It helps with perceived loudness and limiting without distorting.

I have been thinking about that, but Im pretty sceptic if they really work that well or if its just lots of marketing blabla.

Does anyone have experiences with sub-pacs?

I have been thinking about that, but Im pretty sceptic if they really work that well or if its just lots of marketing blabla.

Does anyone have experiences with sub-pacs? [/quote]
There’s a dedicated thread on GS about them that would be a wealth of info!

by the time Ive seen your post ive already read through the whole thread on Gearslutz and some reviews. but thanks anyways, the thread was really helpfull!
indeed i am so convinced that this might be the perfect solution that I bought it right away :joy: luckily found it as b-ware on Thomann

:+1: