Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

I was an idiot and didn’t see the Patch button. It was right in front of me!

Found the screen thing. Ignore me :smiley:

Cheers man! Definitely worth it.

OK - Take 2 :slight_smile:

Hopefully you can hear my voice on this one…

Best regards,

Gino

5 Likes

Good vids, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Ok - so after spending several hours with Argon8 It’s super fun to explore, and sounds delicious.

The only issue I’ve had is that the VST is not working in FL studio, but Modal App in Windows works fine.

I have some work to do to get it fully configured with the DT, FL Studio, and Omnisphere, but I’m looking forward to it.

For me this synth is quite different to work with, and for some that will be refreshing, and for others it might be a concern. It reminds me of FM synthesis in that it’s pretty daunting to build confidence in shaping sounds. I’m not talking about VA waves as those are easy to work with… what I’m talking about is the more advanced ones that you’ve never seen before.
Pairing those with Amp modulation and wavetable mods is tough to predict, so you end up turning knobs to find a modulation that gives you an audible effect, then you map that to an LFO/env/joystick etc.

What I’m trying to say is that Argon8 is clearly a synthesizer for advanced users, and it doesn’t look like it from the outside. Yes, it has lots of great patches, and it’s very immediate for hands-on modulation, but I’m finding sound design to be deep and even “exotic” so far.

6 Likes

Yeah I got a similar feeling from the wavetables on the pro2… I kind of expect to just pick it up because I had spent plenty of time with synthesizers in general but it took awhile to really get into the wavetable portion if it. Character fx are definitely your friends if you want to use filters at the same time as a lot of wavetables as you need to bring some more harmonics into the mix to filter down. I assume this is the case on many wavetable synths. I still wish they went the assignable waves to interpolate between route instead of preset wavetables as it just seems easier to get to know the waves that way. Its been fun seeing your excitement over this synth though, awesome seeing new products find people that enjoy them.

1 Like

I’ve found that mixing one of the more standard VA waves with one of the fancy ones and then slightly modulating the mix between osc 1&2 works really nicely alongside filtering.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely getting into it :slight_smile:

These wavetables are deeper than I’ve used in the past, and even small sections give you a lot to explore.

This picture is from the Craft Synth manual, and I spent some time with the one I circled.
I think all of these are in Argon8, and I’m hoping they do a similar table in an updated manual.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea and a nice way to learn sound design on this synth - start with VA for both oscillators, then change wave 2 to a crazy one, then change both to crazy ones :crazy_face:

While I love making metallic sci-fi wavetable sweeps with distortion and reverb, the real challenge is having a sound in mind, like the whistle on the X-files intro, then trying to build it.

Using the mod envelope on the oscillator mix is a kinda faux way of morphing between different wave tables too of course. Really like it. Do find myself running out of mod-slots pretty quickly mind you.

1 Like

This amazes me, and can’t last long.

If you search YouTube for Modal Argon8 my 2 videos are the only ones posted in the last 24 hours.

Yes - More mod slots would be great!

Or at least being able to assign the AEG and FEG to other things.

If they could unlock any of the 4 fixed mod slots, that would make me happy.

That’s wild, I discovered the same thing after watching your video and wanting more. I couldn’t believe there are so few videos so far, it’s pretty early though. BTW your voice is much louder in your take 2 video.

1 Like

8 bass patches

1 Like

Those are some really sweet patches !

1 Like

8 Pads

1 Like

I haven’t been much of a fan of Modal’s other stuff, but I think this one sounds surprisingly good. On first impressions, and without ever touching either, this one seems to have a more intuitive interface and lead to more musical results than the Hydra. While I have the Peak and it seems “better” in many regards, I kind of love how the Argon 8’s sound and UI and sweet spots lead to places that the Peak doesn’t. I might have to give this one a spin.

2 Likes

As much as I love my Argon8, I must admit that the reverb is underwhelming.

I resampled a few sounds from my Argon8 into my DT and used it’s reverb to compare it and the reverb on the DT is far superior.

I also loaded the sample into Omnisphere and use Pro-Verb, and it’s one of best digital reverbs out there imo, so no comparison.

For onboard effects, the Argon8 still has a lot to offer, just wish the reverb held up better.