Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

Mine arrived on Thursday. Love the sound, build is good. Anyone else notice the output is attenuated significantly, and has considerably diminished low end when you use TRS cables on the main outs?

Haven’t tried with TRS, but yes, I agree the output can be pretty low. There’s massive variation from patch to patch.

The biggest mystery is why my volume knob is little. I know it’s cold in the uk, but still…

1 Like

Are they mono outs? I don’t know about the Argon 8, but Moog recommends not using TRS cables on its synths as it can cause phasing issues which can result in very quiet output IIRC

There are two jacks, left/mono and right. Manual is a little vague, but seems to indicate that you can use TRS cables.

Line level stereo outputs on 1/4” mono/ TS and stereo/TRS jacks. The left jack only will break the stereo circuit and collapse the signal to mono. These outputs can be connected to any line level input for monitoring and recording. The line output is higher quality than the headphone output, so always use it when recording or performing. The Line out level can be adjusted using the ‘Volume’ knob.

No biggie tbh, just curious if anyone else noticed this. And yeah definitely noticed wide variation in the volume from patch to patch.

I think TRS refers to the stereo headphone out.

One user on GS said the outputs were very hot, but I’m seeing here they are low… curious.

I don’t think that’s it – that block of text I pasted was from the line out section.

In the settings there is a patch gain knob. Could be that.

1 Like

FYI - the Modal VST does not yet support the Argon8. Modal wrote me back and confirmed that. They hope to address it “in a few weeks”.

Now procrastination between HydraSynth module and Argon…
:slight_smile:
Not sure…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is the dilemma facing every single person who buys either. They feel inescapably linked. The Argon demos spoke to me a good deal more than the Hydra, but I’m sure there’s a big common ground. Have been pleased with my purchase. Can’t see the need for both put it that way, and I’m a man who can create the “need” for almost any synth!

1 Like

The search continues :slight_smile:

Polyend Medusa has wavetable too… that’s one I’ve been curious about for a long time

1 Like

Had the Hydrasynth module. I’m pretty sure the only thing I will miss is the poly aftertouch; maybe the CV connectivity.

Awaiting an Argon8. Will report back, although I will probably focus more on what I think of the Modal rather than much by way of direct comps; the last time I offered tempered criticism of the Hydrasynth, a bunch of people (many of whom had never played it) jumped in to question my judgment, and it’s not an experience I’m keen to repeat.

3 Likes

I know it’s completely a horse of another color – but does anyone have thoughts on the Argon8 relative the new Korg Wavestate?

Indeed, two completely different things.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Both are digital synthesizers with three octave keyboards and relatively similar price points. After that… I don’t see (and perhaps more importantly, hear!) a lot of overlap. Entirely different engines, entirely different processes/workflows, entirely different results.

2 Likes

Hey everyone , a newer shiny box just got announced ( this thread suddenly slows down )

1 Like

My take is that the Argon8 seems more fun to use, more immediate, but the Wavestate is totally dreamy and has a nice looking workflow for the huge complexity of the engine. They both sound great from everything I’ve heard! Probably best to buy both!

1 Like

Agreeing with everyone else here…

Argon8 is WT - with oscillator interactions like Phase Modulation, Ring Mod, Amp Mod, etc. along with the obvious morphing between detailed waveforms (which is the stuff I love exploring).

But…

There are enough similarities, that many people will hear “wave” in “wavestate” and “wavetable” and see them as closer than they really are. The WS might not have true FM, but with sampled sounds it can blur the line (esp with effects and layering).

NAMM isn’t here yet, but this isn’t good for Argon8 sales IMO. The wavestate is positioned well against Agron8 at a glance.

4 part multi-timbral vs 1 part
64 voices vs 8 voices
more envelopes (and shapes)
more lfos (and shapes)
4 layers vs 2 (if you think of wave1 and wave2 as layers)
deeper sequencing
well known brand vs lesser known brand

I’m not saying all of those things matter; they both look to be great products (well one of them I know is a great product, because I use it daily).

This might be part of the reason it was so quiet on YouTube about Argon8, because most reviewers knew the WS was landing, and maybe there’s more landing soon :slight_smile:

I adore my Argon8, and the Korg announcement doesn’t lessen that, and it’s encouraging to see the competition heat up. It’s only better for us.

2 Likes

Well said Gino! – That was the spirit of my question too.

Add to your list Filters. Here’s a link to the Loopop WaveState video where he talks about the choices of filters. (He goes on for about two minutes in the video.) Also note how he dials in a simple sawtooth sound to demonstrate the filters. So there’s quite a bit possible on the WS in the more conventional subtractive synthesis sort of realm.

On the list too and to the plus side of the Argon is its conventional sequencer.

A little of my reaction too, on a generic level, one that facilitates comparison of two very different machines, is thinking – if Korg can do all that, couldn’t Modal have put a little more [something] in their synth.

It’s very early for this all, i’m just started digesting all the new info on the WaveState.

I have been keen on Argon and still am, but as of now it’s moved down my list. (Agreeing with your thought that this won’t help sales of the Argon.)

1 Like