Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

I need to take a closer listen tomorrow, but the reverb sounds denser to me now.

Maybe I’ve gotten used to it :slight_smile:

Loving the VST. I like how it stores patch tweaks with the total recall, so if you tweak a patch in a track, it recalls those tweaks too without them having to be written to the patch itself. That’s going to save quite a few patch slots for me :slight_smile:

Hope you get the VST working with FL @Gino.

2 Likes

I’m jealous :slight_smile:

Which DAW are you using? Are you on Windows? I’ve been thinking about demoing bitwig to see if midi handling is better than FL.

Edit: Bitwig has the same issue, so it’s looking like the Windows “single client midi” problem. Now I understand why the DT VST doesn’t depend on a standard midi connection, because Windows users would run into this same issue.

I’m using Bitwig. Have live 10 too but using Bitwig lately because of polyAT and MPE support with the Hydrasynth.

I’m not having any midi issues though, what are you experiencing?

I have the Argon8 set up as an external instrument, and have the VST on the same track before the external instrument device.

I’m on Mac by the way.

Cool - Thanks! From what I read Macs work better in this regard as their native midi drivers are multi-client.

As I predicted, yesterday was a day of fiddling with software with no music joy.

The good news is that I’m now a new Bitwig Studio owner, and moving over to it from FL Studio.
It’s working great, and the midi handling makes sense, and just works.
FL Studio is a great DAW, I just feel configuring midi for my needs is a weakness I can no longer ignore.

Also the way I solved the Windows midi limitation is to plug the midi in/out between my Argon8 and DT using good old fashioned midi cables.
So the flexibility of the DT really saved the day!

1 Like

Awesome News on Bitwig. I bounced between that and Ableton, but since getting the Hydrasynth, I’ve been using Bitwig exclusively. Still things I prefer about live, but once you dig into Bitwig, it’s extremely powerful, and flexible.

Does this help with the single midi client issue?

http://www.soundquest.org/Help/MidiQuest12/using_plugins_with_single_clie.htm

Thanks, yes I found that article, and tried it.
Unfortunately it didn’t work for me, and caused other problems.

The main problem was FL Studio does not have a way to ignore a particular midi controller, so it would always start with an error.

Bitwig handles this better, so theoretically I could try it again, but at the moment I’m happy with using midi cables between the DT and Argon8.

Yeah, midi handling in Bitwig is solid, and extensive. Just having PolyAT and MPE is awesome. Still stunned that Ableton still isn’t supporting either.

The whole nature of Bitwig is modular, but wait until you have time to dive into the Bitwig Grid (modular)…It’s a major time black hole. Create your own synths and effects etc. You can get lost in there for days at a time :slight_smile:

Quoted for Truthiness.

1 Like

On New Firmware

ADDED: The word “On” for my friend auditorycanvas.

Sadly hasn’t addressed the volume issue

Keep up bro, Gino posted this earlier in the thread last week :):grinning:

I’m probably being a dumbass, but where do I adjust the Filter Keytracking?

Press the Note-button and wiggle the filter.

3 Likes

Legend! Thanks! It doesn’t have a huge emphasis though.

I think you can adjust the emphasis with the param or preset knob. Jack it all the way to 63

1 Like

Juno.co.uk are selling new Argon8’s for £489.00

You have to select ‘Click for a better price’ & quote the reference number.

I received my Argon8 today but frustratingly only had the opportunity to take it out the box and look it over. I pressed some buttons, waggled the joystick & turned/pushed a few controls.

I have to be honest & say they felt pretty crap to me. The look, general build (nice & solid/heavy) and keyboard are great but the actual controls, to me, feel bad. Everything wiggles. The buttons don’t sit or press down evenly. I reckon if i’d play around with one in a shop beforehand i would’ve felt seriously conflicted by these issues.

Can any users let me know how the controls are coping after more rigorous and repeated use?

Going to go to bed & stop stressing about it and hopefully tomorrow evening get some time to play.

Cheers!

I don’t own one but they definitely used good components for knobs, buttons, etc, so the short answer is that you’ve got nothing to worry about or stress over. If your brain can’t stop worrying, open the thing up, check which components were used, and look them up on a supplier website. The datasheets will tell you how many turns, presses, etc they are rated for. Probably more than you could ever press or turn in 3 (or 5) lifetimes. Your warranty will be void though! Don’t worry!

1 Like

I won’t be opening it up but your reply has stopped me from worrying.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Looking forward to making some Kenny Larkin-esq techno.

1 Like