Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

FWIW - I also just posted another video. In this one I was inspired by a video of the Waldorf microWAVE XT. Someone on GS asked if the Argon8 could make sounds like it.

I’m getting the 8m Friday and have the digitakt. Am very interested in just jamming with these two alone I’ll try and report back.

2 Likes

Ironic to be talking about gain-structure issues, and here the level of this video is also about 25% of what it should be. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cheers!

Gino, I think there is something wrong with your system, or cables, or setup, or something.

Nick Batt just did a Friday Fun using an Argon8M together with the Microvolt 3900.

He is running the MicroVolt 3900 into the Modal stereo line in. Then the Argon goes out to a Zoom MS-70CDR effects pedal.

Sounds fine to me. This is one of Nick’s better Friday Funs !

This is the 8M rather than your 8, but that shouldn’t make any difference.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome pairing IMO, have fun!

I sequence the Argon8 with the DT, and have yet to explore all the possibilities because the Argon8 has it’s own Arp + Sequencer.

The best part is being able to p-lock CCs mapped to voice parameters of the Argon8.
Sure you “only” get 8 per midi track, but you can get very creative with it.

Yeah I think it could be good to come up with some quick patterns and interesting sounds. The two synths I have now are relatively complex monomachine and vsynth xt, I think it will be nice to have something with some more sweet spots. Argon 8 definitely looks deep, but it also seems like you get get some nice sounds with a lot less effort than some synths. I also like the fact that everything I own is digital. Anti-Analog!

LOL - that is ironic :slight_smile:

I need to figure out how to get consistent audio levels out of of OBS when I post to Youtube. I had it worked out on my Windows machine, but now need to get it right on the Mac.

I may redo the video and pull it down, as most people who watch synth videos have great audio setups where they can hear any flaws :blush:

Edit - I increased the volume, and reposted. Thanks again for pointing this out.

2 Likes

I just tried using a mono patch cable into the Argon, and sent audio from a few different modules. I got a fairly decent level with the input level all the way up. Not as hot as I would have expected, given I was sending Eurorack level.

Worth noting that the patch gain also affects the input level. It wasn’t quite as loud as the patch on some patches, but a decent level none the less.

I don’t have a long enough TRS cable that would reach to test that.

2 Likes

My question regarding only Argon8M

Does someone find a good bag to travel/protect the Argon 8 module version ?

Thanks

This seems a lot closer to the XD now after the update. Would love to hear them side-by-side.

… for the 8M. Pretty close in size/shape to the Behringer Neutron.

How about this:

They make different size cases organized by synth, though they don’t call out Modal specifically.

1 Like

Totally nice @Jukka you sold me I will get this one.
Thanks anyone I’m sold with jukka reference

2 Likes

Added a video on long envelopes…

2 Likes

Posted a video on making a super saw on the Argon8

1 Like

Oh boy…

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/i4g8ux/new_features_on_modal_argon8/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Why post this dude? When you read the comments on that thread, it was Jexus who bought this as B stock at thomann, who had dropped it and re-taped the box etc. This was not a new unit from Modal. The person posting it on Reddit was just trying to drum up some outrage clearly, it wasn’t even their photo to post.

4 Likes

And the lesson is—buy in-store, inspect on the spot. :wink:

Cheers!

Hello guys,

I have difficulties syncing my Argon 8 to my other gear (Model Samples, Model Cycles and Microfreak) using the mini jack sync i/o. Argon seems to recognize the external clock signal, but arp as well as the sequencer play crazy fast and I can’t change time division/pattern length in the Argon in a usefull way meaning that even when I put it to the slowest position it still plays way to fast (in tempo).
Couldn’t find any advice online to solve this. So what can I do? Should I rather connect via MIDI? I’m a total neewby to hardware synths and MIDI stuff …
Any advice is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
SKPTK

The M:C and M:S as far as I know don’t have an analog sync; they have MIDI ports. So if you are connecting to them, you are probably receiving the MIDI clock which moves at 24 parts per quarter note (ppqn is a common abbreviation for this). Which is… yeah, crazy fast, 24x faster than you would expect.

Have you tried using the Microfreak’s clock output? There are ways to adjust its output (it can also go up to crazy fast speeds); I’m not sure if they are available in the settings menu, but they can be accessed with the MIDI Control Center software.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! Could solve the problem using the Midi instead of sync ports.