Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

Hey, Argonauts, reading the Argon8 manual and I have a question . . . Wave 2 is different from Wave 1 in that it has PWM and noise options.

But if I use Wave 2 for PWM, do I have any other way to mix in noise?

1 Like

Maybe with LoFi FX - Par. E
Sadly no envelope on FX parameters, so it’ll just be on. ( … volume pedal? :wink: )

Or try to feed an external noise source via Audio In, probably more useful (pre-filter…), if you can get the levels right.

I’m hoping for an Argon 5s…

Not a bad idea. It looks like a couple of the wavetable modifiers (Derez and Crush) might offer a rough approximation too.

Also, is there a PWM wavetable? If so, you could use that on wave 1, saving wave 2 for noise.

1 Like

PWM and noise seem to be implemented as special oscillator modes, not a bank of wavetables. I guess…
Not even sure if it’s possible to interpolate square waves like that. Perhaps not as smoothly.

Otherwise, I don’t see why PWM “bank” would be left out on Osc1.

Interesting point though, I hadn’t thought about this limitation.

1 Like

It’s definitely not ideal, but I know Pigments has some PWM wavetables.

Never tried it (or Serum).
You’d probably need a lot more tables to get a smooth result?
PWM is extremely easy to implement in code though (i.e. DDS) and you’ll get a high resolution that way.

I can see why noise wouldn’t make much sense as a wavetable.
But perhaps they could put PWM in Osc1 and leave noise in Osc2.
Perhaps too heavy on the CPU when combined.

Couldn’t resist and brought one home today.

God, I love the keybed.

Question: the head of the joystick . . . is it supposed to spin? It doesn’t bother me, I just want to make sure I don’t need to tighten it.

Yep, it spins.

1 Like
2 Likes

my review

2 Likes

V3 Firmware released with new free running oscillators, vintage mode, filters fx etc.

9 Likes

The limiter . . . and the volume drop when you add FXs . . . fixed?

According to the release notes they’ve adjusted internal gain staging, so maybe?

Argon8 V3 is a Gamechanger! Loving it so far!

1 Like

Very keen to hear more thoughts on this, specifically the new filter models. The 12db filter was one of the main turn-offs for me.
Still can’t imagine it competing 1:1 with the Hydra but at least it’s a bit closer now.

The new 4-Pole Ladder Filter is my new fav, improved low end on patches. The new FX especially the Chorus2 and Reverb2 are much more useable, not quite Hydra level but 75% there. (I own both the Hydra and Argon8 and the Cobalt). The new Drive FX are also really useful. The only downside to the new FX is that many of them restrict the amount of FX you can use down to 2 maximum. I also really like the new Vintage Mode and Oscillator Free Run modes, they really add authentic movement, even more so than the Cobalt!

2 Likes

Curious about this as well. This was the main reason I sold the Cobalt8 and didn’t buy the Argon8. If they fixed it, and will also do this for the Cobalt8, I may rebuy one or both

I’ve been interested in both for a while . The more obvious differences seam to be blurring with the A8’s V3 firmware though now . With OSC free run and the “ vintage “ meta function . What can the Cobalt do in terms of making “ bread and butter “ VA / subtractive patches the Argon can’t?
I know the “modifiers “on the C8 are obviously geared more towards making “ analog style “ synthesis , but and correct me if I’m wrong they are essentially just fixed Wavetables through their respective synthesis methods made into meta OSC much like Mutable Instruments Braids etc. . I.E . The PWM variants are tied to a Wavetable and not usable on just any other “ waveform “ correct or Incorrect ?
Also the A8 has what 3 or 4 Wavetables flavors now for making “ analog “ patches including PWM , sync , etc ?
I assume these v3 A8 functions will make their way over to the cobalt , but I’m not so sure about the new filters and while 75-80% of my own patches are more “traditional “ subtractive there is also lots of appeal in the grungy industrial tones I could get out of the Arogon too …
Prior to V3 I was weighing more toward’s the Cobalt , but free Osc ,” vintage “ mode , and the svf and K35 style filter make the Argon much more attractive now …on top of the weird and wonderful noisy things it’s also capable of makes me think I can maybe have my cake and eat it too ?

I own both the Argon8 and Cobalt8 since they both came out and I always leaned towards the Argon8 even before this major update. I just found the sound a bit more gritty and enjoyed the flexibility of the wavetables combined with the standard oscillators. Plus I found i preferred the sound of the filters too. But I do enjoy programming big lead sounds on the Cobalt8.