Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

I’ve come to the same conclusion, despite the very clever and powerful-looking interface of the Hydrasynth.

Sonic State had more questions to follow up on. Jackson describes a lot of the more unusual features here, that he has not talked about before, or perhaps i missed them. Like the LFO affected by the note frequency. And the relative values stored in the sequencer. And other stuff.

Again the two are different.

1 Like

I dig that part about the sequencer, and being able to adjust the relative point of the modulation afterwords, instead of the value jumping back to where it was when the automation was recorded.

Sequencer looks fantastic. Motion lanes are very Korg ‘logue-ish.

Damnit, I told myself I wouldn’t buy another synth.

The arpeggiator and sequencer stood out to me too.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting so long for a poly AT synth that the Hydrasynth calls to me, especially with its neat ribbon implementation.
I do like the Argon UI and size and guess I’d rather have had an SH-101-style sequencer on the Hydra, plus at least one set of dedicated envelope controls (rather than the arpeggiator knobs but maybe I’ll be convinced when I get some hands on).
Hopefully I’ll get to try both soon…

1 Like

Looking various places, and it looks like only one filter choice, a two pole morphing filter.

And i’m trying to figure out for sure, but it looks like it’s stereo only after the effects. So the filter and the oscillators are mono? That’s what i get from the specs i’ve looked at so far at a few different places, but it’s a little unclear. That’s why i’m asking here. Does anyone know for sure?

OK i got to admit i’ve been looking at this, and found places that will let you pre-order in the US – Perfect Circuit and B&H. There’s one at Reverb too.

Yeah I only saw one filter type too in the specs, though as you noted specs may be subject to change.

The synth architecture looks capable enough to satisfy aspiring sound designers, but it reflects a different background, compared to Glen Darcey whose LinkedIn profile shows that he worked on the real Oberheim Xpander among other things so the ASM reflects his background.

1 Like

In Sonic State video, the First Look one with Nick, he says that right now it has the one filter in it, but he said that they have quite a few others that could be added. He also says that there is oscillator pan, which sounds like it could be stereo voicing.

1 Like

See the Argon 8 at Synthfest UK this weekend!

You can see the Argon 8 at the Synthfest 2019, October 5th at Octagon Centre on Clarkson Street in Sheffield, UK. That’s this Saturday. The hours for Synthfest are 10:30am – 6:30pm.

This is being billed by Modal as “The First UK Showing for the Argon8!” They’ll be at stand R14, and the notice i got says you’ll get hands on with the Argon8.

If you get there, let us all know what you think, and especially what you hear.

3 Likes

Very cool, looking forward to some more videos popping up on youtube.

1 Like

those wavetables!! I wanted to see a module / instrument with those MI Braids like wavetables in the WTX4 mode and finally that looks like it:

I don´t think its Argon8 vs. Hydra Synth - it´s more Argon8 vs. Minilouge XD
same price, nearly same size … one has more voices, the other has more oscilator types (wavetable seems only a small amount, but also user oscillators). hmm, hmm, hmm

I just wished Elektron would put out a kind of custom firmware turning the Digitone into a wavetable osc.

3 Likes

New video, new features, new schedule.

The effects are much improved and really sounding (pick your preferred highly positive adverb). No reverb to show yet.

They’ve added a few filters – they only had ONE filter just recently, so that’s really good.

They have built 4 prototypes now total.

Still a few glitch sounds happening – but at this phase that’s still to be expected. They’re still making room software-wise in processor bandwidth.

They had hoped to ship in early November, but now feel late November is more realistic. (I’m still holding to my predictions on schedule that i made back at the top of this thread.)

Really looking forward to the Argon!

3 Likes

Awesome. I am still very excited for this one.

Nice to see that they are still adding features. Really hoping you can record that joystick into one of the four automation lanes. Or maybe it takes up all four now that I’m thinking about it.

2 Likes

I played it at Synthfest …& wasn’t really that impressed. to be fair, I couldn’t help ( I know it’s at a totally different price point, well for the keyboard version anyway) but compare it mentally to the Hydrasynth though… which blows it away IMHO. Like I say, probably an unfair comparison.

1 Like

I did too. Expected to like the UI better but I’m no lover of encoders really, especially really light ones. Would need to spend a longer time with it but much more keen to spend longer on the Hydra.

2 Likes

I found the Hydrasynth pretty extraordinarily good Paul - wasn’t expecting it all ! the U.I is just brilliant really.

1 Like

I hope to spend more time with one soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

This synth deserves much more attention. It sounds really awesome in the demos and the feature set is great for this price point. Based on the demos it sounds a bit warmer than the hydrasynth.

Also the sequencer seems to be one of the most advanced in a poly synth. Sequences can be stored separately to patches (up to 100 sequences). Each sequence can have up to 512 steps (wow) and automation gets recorded relative to the current parameter values. Sequences can both be recorded in real time or entered via 16 step buttons.

2 Likes