Modal Electronics Cobalt8

That might be a problem. But even with the max lfo speed of 78hz, it would be cool if it would have keytracking.

1 Like

If you look in the manual, this is possible.

LFO2/3 (the polyphonic LFOs) rate is an assignable destination for Note (key-tracking) in the mod matrix.

Synth Anatomy started a series to show all the algorithms in COBALT8. Here is the first episode:

5 Likes

2nd episode. Algorithms 14-24

2 Likes

The stepped/width modulated sounds in the first algorithm video around 11ish and 22ish minutes are beautiful. Kinda reminds me of the Cwejman VCO6 with it’s split PWM. Sounds nice! Some of the others remind me of some of the modes on the Cyclebox too. Having these on a polysynth is nice!

There’s a cobalt module on Juno.co.uk

Is that news ?

11 Likes

It is now!

2 Likes

And bigger keyboard version

2 Likes

Nice!

I could see adding a Cobalt module to my setup. I’ve got analog poly covered, but I REALLY like some of those oscillator algorithms. Aside from my obsession with modulars and FM synthesis, I can’t get enough oscillators in general. Anything that can generate a cool waveform. (I love things like the Cyclebox for example…) Glad to see they’re doing the same triple-form-factor as the Argon. (which I’d also like the module version of sometime)

Both the Cobalt and the Argon8 sound very good and quite unique to me; hope Modal do well with both. I had a glance through the Argon8 manual but didn’t see anything about alternative / custom scales. Maybe I missed something, if not any plans for future implementation?

I’m glad they announced these in a more timely fashion than the Argon8 extended range.

1 Like

Full Sonic LAB Review

2 Likes

I like the fact that the Shift button goes On/Off.

3rd episode.

I’m looking forward to the Cobalt8M.

Ooof. I’ll be watching these later. Thanks for posting.
I saw the preview by sonic state. Sounds really interesting!
I didnt like the wavetable one (guess I’m just not a wavetableist) but this blue VA one is very pleasing to my ears.

Bax has it on preorder

1 Like

Thanks for the notice. I actually placed a pre-order yesterday with another online retailer.

1 Like

Been sitting waiting for a megaFM for 6 weeks.
Am finding myself looking at the Cobalt 8M.

The more I hear it, the more I like it.

4 Likes