Modal Electronics Cobalt8

Thanks @PeterHanes but I tried everything even with Local Off and it kills my workflow. This is a huge deal breaker. I feel sad cause I really like the Keybed.

Thanks @Fin25 but you won’t have to, I’m returning the Unit unless Modal Electronics annouce today that this feature will be in the next update.

I’ve never used midi Omni and don’t really get it, but doesn’t it mean that it’ll listen to all input channels, but will still only send midi via the chosen channel?

If Omni is On, everytime I hit a Key, it will play the Cobalt8 too. This is an unwanted behavior.

Are you sure?

What’s your MIDI setup?

I won’t list everything but only what’s relevant in this case.

Cobalt8 MIDI OUT > Digitakt MIDI IN (wanting the Cobalt8 to play all my Synths)
DT OUT > Kenton Thru box IN
Kenton Thru OUTS > my Synths

Cobalt8 on Channel 10 (DT’s Auto Channel)

The problem is that Cobalt8 Rx and Tx Channel is the same.

If I remember correctly from other scenarios then Local Off will work to allow you to play your other synths from the C8 but you would have to do some audio muting of the C8 at certain times.

Yes, that’s why I said that it kills the workflow. I just can’t imagine why this is not implemented. I think that this is a Basic Feature to have when you buy a Keyboard Synth.

This is the answer that I just received from Modal :

The synth isnt muti timbral so that not possible.
Best Regards
Modal Support

And this is what I answered back :

I don’t understand the reason you are invoking here. This has nothing to do with multitimbrality. Having a MIDI Receiving Channel and a MIDI Transmitting Channel is related to the MIDI implementation of the Synth. As an example, ASM Hydrasynth is not multitimbral but has a MIDI Rx Channel and a MIDI Tx Channel.

Hi @PeterHanes, I’ve solved my problem by using my Blokas Midihub.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on the solution / settings you used ?
It’s unclear to me why you can’t set the Cobalt8 to the DT MIDI auto channel and not being able to sequence other synths :woozy_face:

I can set the Co8 to the DT MIDI Auto Channel which, in my case, is Channel 10, but how do I play the Co8? On Channel 10? Yes, but to avoid conflicts with other Devices, I prefer to have Channel 10 reserved to this duty. I tried this setup but when I was playing Notes on Channel 10 (Co8), I was triggering, as an example, some Drums on my Machinedrum, not to mention others.

Edit : Maybe I can try on another Channel to see if there is a conflict with my other Devices as Channel 10 is usually the Drum Channel.

Really enjoying this little module but it’s absolutely gagging for a more interesting/characterful filter. (or at least a tweaked resonance response option) I find the whistly nature of the resonance really quite bad which makes it a no goer for nice simple, sweepy high resonance sounds.

Interestingly, it doesn’t spoil the synth or the sounds you can make with it as it functions very well as a basic filter. But adding a ‘great sounding’ filter would really knock it up into a different league, IMO.

If you’re listening Modal, please, give us a juicy Roland, a gnarly Korg, even an unruly 90s digi. Those algorithms deserve it :slight_smile:

also, please let me record the movement of the joystick into the automation lanes x

2 Likes

I agree. That’s why I’ve plugged permanently the Co8 into an Akai MFC42.

Nice! always wanted to try one of those :slight_smile: mines going through the Eurorack options

1 Like

What do u think about Cobalt, comparing soundwise to Hydrasynth, Peak or Minilogue xd (even Opsix)?
Also how is the keybed, say compared to Virus Ti or Blofeld?

I’m enjoying mine so far. I agree that the filter is very different. Takes some work to get to the sweet spots. I’ve noticed that you really have to start modulating it in creative ways and then it’s digital downsides are not as apparent. LFO 2 and 3 are per voice while LFO 1 is global. Makes all the difference on that filter and morph.

The algorithms are the main course here for sure. It’s so easy to get some evolving pads or super saw type weirdness going. Excels at bass lines as well with the 101 style sequencer option and unison and stack modes.

Effects are just meh. Typical low overhead DSP fare. Chorus is ok. Delay is fun. Reverb is not my bag. I’ve been running it into my Digitone a lot.

The keybed is great. Fatar, I believe. I’m using it as a desktop controller (37 key) and it fits that job nicely.

1 Like

Just ordered one. Arrives next week. I’ll test it out and let you know how it goes. I’m curious if it can pull off some convincingly analog pads and keys

2 Likes

Got mine last week and now they update the firmware to add 6 new Osc types!

• FM Saw:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Sawtooth as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
  • FM Square:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Square as both the carrier and modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
  • FM Tri:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Triangle as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
  • Noise AM Saw: Sawtooth Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
  • Noise AM Square: Square Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
  • Noise AM Tri: Triangle Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)

Nice! Hoping they continue taking notes from the Elektron school of firmware updates :grin:

4 Likes

I’m thinking of getting one, but not sure if I want the 8 or the 8m. I don’t really need the keys, and like the small form factor of the 8m. But I generally prefer a synth that has one-knob-per-function as much as possible.

Anyone got experience with both? Any opinions about the differences besides the keys?

Can I ask why you are ‘thinking’ of getting one?
What are you after?