Modal Electronics Cobalt8

M or regular?

The M.

I think the regular one is a bit better for menu diving, especially with the sequencer, which I found to be a pain in the arse on the M.

1 Like

Yeah me too, so sold it. Considering the regular now, since this update has solved all my other issues I had with it.

1 Like

There’s a V2 update now or am I wols.

It does sound lovely. I had the M briefly. My main gripes with it were the lacklustre filter (which may be fixed now with the additional modelling options), volume drops with FX and the way LFOs were assigned (particularly the third one) which required latching this, turning that, and remembering to unlatch again otherwise it would reassign itself. Also mod slots ran out mighty fast. Honestly, tho, since picking up the Hydrasynth Explorer, I feel that Modal got many more things wrong on Cobalt. The UI on Hydra is infinitely better and the sound is fantastic.

3 Likes

This guy’s walt through of the update was helpful for anyone who might be interested.

edit: I just tried some of the new filters and they are a huge improvement.

Can you program the sequencer on the module version directly from the unit?

I wouldn’t say program but you can record your sequence in against a click track from the hardware

The updated factory sound bank is available now on their website… loving this update, really lifts the sound and gives it the character it was lacking…

It’s a keeper now for sure :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, it’s a good update - I’m keen to play about with the phasing ladder filter. It’s a shame that sample and hold shapes are pretty uncommon on so many phasers as I really like that sound so good to get another option on that front.

Where does the new factory soundbank go? I mean does it replace space held by preexisting patches?

You’ve got space to store 500 patches and both factory banks use up 400, so you get 100 patch space left.

Pretty easy to manage presets via the App or VST

1 Like

Oh ok. I’m so bad about patch management but I have to say their app is really great and every firmware update should be as easy as it is with Modal.

Anyways, not to gush on about the update but the few patches I made since 2.0 sound like a totally different / beefier synth!

3 Likes

Yeah it’s mostly there for me now, just needs a few improvements on the MPE side…

Here’s some jamming I did with the new presets the other day: Endlesss - Home

2 Likes

Sounds very lush… much effects applied outside of the patches?

So did they fix the massive volume drop when applying fx?

No it’s all direct unprocessed output, the presets are generally covered in fx anyway :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Feels like it but tbh I’ve not done any programming with it, mostly playing with the new presets and filters… compared to the first factory bank the levels are much more even across the presets in the new one

Demo of the new V2 factory library.

2 Likes

Did you play the Dr. Who theme at some point?