Modal Electronics Cobalt8

So… keyboard version or module and a Keystep 37?

Depends if you want a really nice keyboard that induces joy every time you touch it.

I do want that - I like joy. But I’m also looking for a nice way to sequence it that isn’t my DAW or the Syntakt.

Yea, I don’t really like using the sequencer on it to be honest.

Keystep 37 has small keys as opposed to the full-sized ones on the Argon/Cobalt. However, both of those synths support MPE and their keyboards don’t. So how about pairing it with an MPE-capable controller such as a McMillen K-Board Pro or Linnstrument?

I was finally able to play the Cobald 8 (desktop variant) this weekend and was very disappointed with the feel of the buttons. Everything is wobbly and does not feel solid at all. I would have liked a product like this to have a haptic with more resistance, like the Minilogue / Minilogue XD.

Couple of deep dive videos walking through the Cobalt8:

1 Like

The developer has addressed this perceived issue many times, with regards to both the buttons and the encoders…

The low-resistance encoders that Modal uses were actually chosen for their durability: i.e. they boast a significantly longer lifespan, and purportedly have the lowest failure rate of all the components they use.

Ironically, the resistance in the pots and encoders on synths like the Minilogue, despite being so pleasing to-the-touch and otherwise inspiring so much confidence, is the very thing that will ultimately cause them to fail in relatively short order.

And the buttons are similar (and certainly no less wobbly) to the self-cleaning buttons on other highend synths by brands like DSI/Sequential, etc.

Cheers!

2 Likes

The Cobalt 8X that I gave my daughter has zero issues with encoders and buttons. I thought it felt just fine in use as well including the keybed. The build quality is quite good on these. I also had the desktop Argon, and that was great too. Bourns is pretty much the high end for pots, encoders, etc. I would recommend this Modal line to anyone looking for a synth that does what they do.

1 Like

I think the only thing I would change is the cutoff knob making it a smidge smaller.

I don’t know why people fuss so much over the encoders. They don’t bother me at all although I don’t use mine much anymore.

I think it’s a great little synth. I have the desktop which I edit via my iPad with the app.

1 Like

Nothing to add except I love this synth. Surprised it hasn’t gotten more chatter on here. I picked up an 8M and I think its going to become an essential part of my production process. Love assigning parameters to that joystick and I love how flexible the 8 slot mod matrix is. This thing is a winner for me.

3 Likes

Great synth, it just has an outer space atmospheric mojo - cold and warm at the same time - which is pretty strange. It’s like a fizzier Roland.

1 Like

You making patches for it?

Hopefully, working on a Super 6 pack just now in between decorating the house!

1 Like

Hi guys! Maybe you could give me a hand…
I am interestes in Cobalt, but I have nowhere to try before I buy and wondering…

I had the CraftSynth 2.0 which I believe is a simplified mono version of Argon.
My question is: does Cobalt sound in its basic sound and character, the same as Argon, kind of sterile and artificial?
Or is it very different?

(I listened to demos, but from them they sound similar at the basic level… I know their synthesis
is different)
Thanks a lot!

From my understanding the Cobalt is more like the Skulpt.

You can probably do similar things on both if you wanted to and some of the VA Wavetables on the Argon are probably identical to some of the algorithms on the Cobalt.

Sterile and artificial isn’t a basic quality of any synth that can do Virtual Analog but if you turn off all the VA stuff like Oscillator Free Run/Drift/Vintage it’ll sound more digital. Vintage and Free Run weren’t in the first versions of Argon or Cobalt so some of the older sounds never took advantage of them.

Mostly comes down to sound design as to what they end up sounding like and a lot of the Argon demos focus on pretty generic evolving pads.

1 Like

I have a Cobalt 8M and I wouldn’t describe it as sterile at all. In fact I would say it doesn’t really have that strong of a personality of it’s own, it’s a programmers dream. Very flexible sonically. Can be warm, cold, weird, vintage, etc. I think it’s a great synth.

6 Likes

I have both the Cobalt and the Argon (the Argon is for sale and currently in its box, but it was in my studio for a while and I used it on several projects). To my ears they are pretty different sounding instruments – while the filter algorithms and such very well may be the same code on the backend, the oscillator sections are totally different. I agree with @maymind_trax – the Cobalt doesn’t sound sterile to me, but it definitely has its own character that’s unlike anything else I have, analog or digital. Both the Cobalt and Argon can do warmer sounds, cooler sounds, etc. I’m not sure what Argon demos you’ve checked out but it’s quite a capable machine – for me, I tend to gel with the sounds of the Cobalt more, but you can get some quite nasty bass and lead sounds, for example, out of the Argon. They are both great synths and really fun to program. While I generally prefer hardware interfaces for sound design, the Modal companion software (which is the same for both synths) is really excellent.

1 Like