Modal Electronics Cobalt8

It’s got a pretty fizzy/bubbly personality if anything from the morphable filters:

Following the theme from other videos I’ve done for my other more expensive synths, the Cobalt 8 definitely holds it own. I think it’s a great little synth.

2 Likes

Whoa, 2 years in advance? :exploding_head: :wink:

Interesting that they’re pushing the same hardware yet again with a different engine. I’d wager that under the hood they’re all exactly the same (which isn’t unheard-of obviously).

In which case I’m wondering how hard it would be to jailbreak the bootloader?

Curious if they ever addressed the encoder issues. But since it’s not mentioned, I’ll assume not.

1 Like

That sound demo… hurts my ears

2 Likes

Well, obviously a matter of taste, but to me they are some of the worst I’ve yet encountered, in terms of feel / haptics.

One encoder also completely stopped working on my Argon8 just recently, which did not inspire trust.

I’m not sure if I would blame the encoder brand or type, or if the perceived problem emanates from a mechanical design flaw.

Even the switchless encoders have a little vertical movement, which just feels wrong and disconcerting frankly.

People bitch and moan about Waldorf encoders, but even if a little wobbly at times, the feeling and response appears much smoother, to me anyway.

It was rubbish
That preset should be called Squiggle bullshit
The others - generic dullness 1,2,3

Much that I’m a bit underwhelmed with this myself (so far), I think we need to cut Modal some slack. BUT, they should have prepared themselves to demo this thing with some amazing unique presets, not just a few sounds that probably the Argon8 could do. Bizarre they present themselves at an exhibition, yet don’t have a decent demo prepared.

However, it if had the word MOOG on it and was analog, but made those EXACT same sounds, people would likely be wetting themselves over it!!! Even though it would cost them £5k rather than £500.

I definitely wouldn’t.

Any squiggley pitch bendy winey noise gets my thumbs down … even if herbie Hancock was doing It. Not my ‘thing’ I guess.

haha yea that won’t go down in history as one of the better synth demos :grimacing: Not a huge fan of that resonance but I’m sure it’s a capable machine. I figure recording it in that environment over speakers isn’t ideal too, probably have a lo-cut on the mic etc.

But I feel like I’m being generous here :joy:

I’ve yet to try one of their synths but I like the design and the straightforward nature of what they try to achieve. More synths need a joystick!

1 Like

I actually meant to type Cobalt. :smiley:

I guess I had a psychic moment :grin:

1 Like

You’re a time traveler, be honest. :laughing:

1 Like