Modal Electronics Cobalt8

Nick Batt:

2 Likes

Argon8 has more of the modern experimental tones, but Cobalt8’s tone is more immediately recognizable as analog synth. Obviously, we’re all going off youtube videos but to my ears it sounds very good. With the different algorithm options, it goes well beyond traditional analog territory and starts to show its digital character, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, just part of the character of this synth. If you have to have authentic VCO drag and a “real” ladder filter, you’ll probably get something else but this is definitely a legit sounding synth in its own right.

3 Likes

Very attractive hardware design and great sound, what’s not to like? Nice job Modal! Makes me wish I didn’t already have these bases so well covered, looks really fun to program!

6 Likes

I think this sounds great for a very acceptable price.

It’s not for me - a VA nor a small polysynth is anything I want - but I think Modal have done a fine job here. Seems like it’ll give synths twice it’s price a run for their money.

1 Like

I hate to post again so soon after posting, but I’m gonna do it anyway, as I’m going through the Anderton’s video (where they mention Nick Batt and PWM, hah). Don’t shoot me, but this synth reminds me a lot of the Digitone, or at least how I use Digitone. I know the underlying principles are different, but the way the Cobalt8 moves/morphs things around, the modulation, the arp & sequencer, the sound, it’s a nice machine. I really dig that programmable arp. It seems straightforward and accessible. The arp on the Digitone kinda drives me nuts, but I probably just need to read up on it.

1 Like

Sounds very nice. Damn shame it’s mono-timbral.

3 Likes

Since there will no doubt be plenty of comparisons to the Argon8, I’ll add another…

I think a lot of people looked at the Argon8 and said “oh, another wavetable synth” (somehow this became the cliche of 2019/2020) but my experience with it (had one, loved it, received it literally two days before they announced the X and M versions which both fit my needs better than the 37-key version, returned it, waiting for the right financial situation to bring another Argon back into my life) was really special. It’s sort of hard to describe, but it had a distinct character or sound without that character being intrusive. It was a wavetable synth, but it felt much more “organic” than other wavetable synths I’ve used, especially in the way that the patches could evolve under modulation.

I get the same sort of impression after watching Nick’s First Look. I think Modal makes excellent instruments which have a unique quality to them that is difficult to put your finger on, a fluidity to the sound… I’m just waxing poetic nonsense here. But it sounds really nice, and I’m excited to learn more!

4 Likes

So i notice the back is the same as the Argon too. So i’m back to the question i asked earlier. Can you load the firmware between the two ? I will assume not.

It all seems like a very useful sort of instrument.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a duplicate:

They officially answered under YT video

No, this is unfortunately not possible - some of the crucial internals are different.

2 Likes

Sounds like you might have finalised the algorithms list already ? Any chance of a list sooner than the manual ?

1 Like

Yeah, the guy under the bridge told me it was 34 different super saw’s, but I don’t believe him.

i think re-using the previous case/design which seemed to be well received, and focusing on the engine was a good way to go.
saves costs, ability to get a new device out more quickly (I assume)… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You asked for it and we went the extra mile to list the Algorithms on the website: https://www.modalelectronics.com/cobalt8/

Additionally the manual is now online for download in the ‘Downloads’ section

24 Likes

It is cool to see other manufacturers here to spread the news about their products.
:slight_smile:
Keep up the good work Modal!

17 Likes

Argon8 sounds somewhat fuller in his comparison, but I’m sure both have their place in a modern studio with analogs, fm etc.

EDIT: After listening to more demos, the Cobalt sounds like a cross between an early Nord and a 90’s Korg. Has a certain dry thinness, with a sizzling high end. The low end sounds rather scooped-out as well, very unanalog. I could see this taking the place of my Nord Lead 2 down the road, but I would miss the multitimbral layering options and drum modes.

2 Likes

Holy moly, that is a lot of options. Lots of interesting stuff in there! And happy to see a noise generator in there as well

2 Likes

Chaos saw! Sounds amazing in one of the demos I watched.

I’ve been considering a compact analog or VA poly with a keyboard to round out my set up (A4 and Shared System) and this is high up in the list for consideration now. I had been looking at the Argon8, which is a great form factor and value, but this is more sonically appealing to me.

1 Like

This sounds good, much better than Argon8, might grab one of these, but may have to sell on a keyboard to make room for it thou. Looks like the Jupiter Xm may have to go, as I wont let the Hydrasynth go.

1 Like

I’ve got to say, I’m pretty impressed by the sound and features of the Cobalt8 - it’s definitely way, way more than just a skulpt in a nice case. I’d need to offload some gear before I could justify but that would maybe just allow more time to see if a desktop version is forthcoming… because…

Thanks!! I didn’t pay that close attention to the manual and I’ve now watched Loopop video where he shows how this works and it’s really prettty smart. Between that and then watching your deep-dive video on the oscillators I suspect I definitely am going to have to see what I can to re-jig the ol’ finances…

1 Like