Model 1 DJ/Studio mixer

Just about to share this! Interesting how there’s not much response here. Maybe the lower cost doesn’t make enough sense for our type of musicians, who love the big original ones for their number of channels?

What’s the biggest difference/reason for going for Model 1 over the X96 by the way, since that update of the 92 is around?

Look cool console. I like how it’s look and the drive button seem very nice.

Price… and another consideration can be the differences in filter and eq configurations. And of course x96 has a USB soundcard.

(Ow sorry these are reasons for choosing x96, not m1 :smile:)

3 Likes

Damn… the Model1.4 is still €2200

The €€€ per channel.
Hope their QC meet the price

1 Like

Would be nice to have 2 x the Model 1.4. Currently I have xone96(6channels) but ideally would like to run 8 channels. In an ideal world Id have 4 traktor channels + 4 hardware boxes(dark trinity + TR8S).

I see they can be linked together using a Dsub which would be cool with 2 x 1.4. Dont think they link the fx send this way however. That would be ideal for me

2 Likes

I think the balanced I/O via dsub connector is appealing. But at that price it’s not for me…

1 Like

So i went ahead and picked one up and the sound is incredible. I do find the D25 ports at the back flimsy with my Mogami cable…

Newb question: I know the inputs are stereo but lets say I want to connect a mono synth like the AVALON to it by routing it to the mixer via the DB25s… it only comes out of the LEFT channel which makes sense mono… but… how do you do it?

Also there is no PAN hack or something similar?

Thanks

youll need either a dedicated mono channel or what most manufacturers do is have one of the stereo inputs configured as a mono input. The device will then route the signal to both left and right busses. Plug into the other input and if defeats this action and you get your stereo channel back.

If all you’ve got are ‘proper’ stereo channels that you’ll only get your mono input coming out of one channel. Your only option then is either a splitter cable or using a pedal or something that’s got a mon9 input and stereo output to sit before the mixer inputs.

If there’s no option to use a mono source (either using switching jacks or a physical switch) that’s a really poor design choice. Especially for a mixer.

Edit. Just had another look at the promo blurb… it’s only got unbalanced RCA inputs so no jack switching. In fact the only way of getting anything on jacks in is via the stereo returns so no mono option there either. It just looks like a mixer designed for decks and CD players. Not something I’d choose for using in a studio environment… it’s not flexible enough.

Besides potential loss of signal because you are splitting it…is there any reason not to use a mono to dual mono cable to connect a mono instrument to a stereo channel on a DJ mixer or another mixer? I’ve currently got my Monostation plugged into a DJ mixer this way and I don’t hear anything weird but I haven’t been using it like this long.

No, nothing technically wrong with doing that. You just ‘lose’ a channel when comparing to proper mixing desk with mono channels as you’re using up a stereo input for a mono signal. It’s pretty much what happens internally with switching input jacks. The inputs are tied together when only using the mono input.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer : ) That is what my research and other inquiries told me. But I like to get the same answer from a few sources.

1 Like

Hi, I encountered the same pb. I use a mono to dual mono splitter cable with my Model 1. Works fine.

1 Like

Great stuff - thanks for the responses.
My only gripe so far with the mixer is that the DB25 connectors while solid on the unit, feel flimsy when connected to a new Mogami cable because of its weight.
I really have to push it in and kind of not really move it around.

Is that the case for you also?

I have the Cordial DB25 multicore cables, their connector fixes with the screws on the mixer side. This connection seems rock-solid.

Edit: Maybe I do not fully get your point. What kind of DB25 connectors are you using? In my case, I connect the Cordial multicore directly to the stereo outs of my synths, OT, etc.

1 Like

I bought a Mogami DB25 to DB25 cable that connects to my Apollo 16 card.
And there is still movement at the back - seems like its the cables fault (at the connector level) as the the mixer rear feels solid without inserting anything.

My DB25 cable came with two sets of screws having slightly different threads. I found that I needed to change for the wider thread to make the connector sit really tight on the mixer.

2 Likes

Aha… now i think you’re on to something!
Mine came with a second pair also but havent changed them around to see if they fit.

As it stands, i need to apply force to the connector pusing it inwards towards the mixer… and gently remove my hand from it once i notice the channel playing the audio at full volume…

if i move the mixer around, the connector moves a little causing the sound to come out from the Left channel with reduced volume on Right (i.e. its not sitting correctly).

This exactly :slight_smile:

@vasidudu
You also had same issue brother?

@ccr Ok changed them up, and it now works… :slight_smile: thanks v much for the tip!!

2 Likes