Model Cycles knobs not working

Hi all.

I just received my brand new Model Cycles on Friday. It is my first Electron product and I am very excited.

I only had chance to open it late last night and sadly my unit does not appear to be working properly ie: the Level/Data knob or volume knobs do not work when rotating although they do function properly when pressed.

I have tried re installing the 1.12 firmware. It was also odd that the transfer software would not allow me to drop the sysex file onto the device.
I was very tired last night so thought it might be me being stupid so I left it alone and had another go this evening but nothing has changed. Today I did manage to re install the firmware over midi using Transfer in legacy mode but the knobs still do not function.
All other knobs and buttons appear to be responsive.

I have read the manual and watched many tutorials and I think it is a faulty unit however I may perhaps be missing something very obvious… or something.

If anyone has any suggestions please fire them over.

Many thanks

Craig

It sounds faulty…There should be two ways to factory reset the device (which might not help since it’s new, but still). I had to do it to just quickly clear all my data I Google’d it… It might be worth a shot.

Failing that I’d contact Elektron for support I think there’s a three year warranty?

2 Likes

yeah probably faulty. but contact support either way. they’ll sort you out.

sorry for your crap intro to Elektron gear. that’s not the norm for sure. :pensive:

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a bummer, I have to admit I am having so much fun with mine, more than I would have imagined. My new thing now is having just a one bar pattern and between scale settings and conditionals trying to make it emulate a 4 bar pattern as much as possible. Fun exercise

1 Like

I love it! when I first turned mine on a year(ish) ago I remember being like “wtf is even happening?” with some of the patterns. just SO many conditional trigs…

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies

I’m not at all put off, just bad luck I guess. I am already smitten just listening to the demo’s and messing with the default bank. Reckon its gonna go really well with my old Drumstation and Volca etc setup and be the perfect box to keep with me at all times.

I was going to buy a small audio interface for traveling too but it seems Model Cycles does that as well… Bonus!!

Thanks again

Craig

1 Like

Thanks.

Yes already tried resetting to factory and resetting clear or whatever the other option was.

Cheers

Boo :frowning: but yeah! The class compliance is awesome. Lately I’ve been traveling down the rabbit hole of hooking up the M:C and recording direct into GB on iOS. Very portable (minus being plugged into an outlet).

Easily my favorite piece of hardware I’ve picked up in awhile!

I used to have a Circuit and sold it as I collected other gear. I never really loved the sound of the synth on it but really regretted getting rid of it. As an ideas sketchpad it was superb. I decided I really wanted another all in one fun box and I thought I would go for the new circuit tracks but I just couldn’t do it in the end. I was really hoping the updated version would double as a basic audio interface and have a USB input for using the Launchcontrol XL without the daft hub thing. I still think its an excellent groovebox and wouldn’t want to put anyone off buying once especially someone starting out but for me it wasn’t worth £359.00 so I ended up with the Model Cycles… Sound wise the MC is way more up my street.

I will possibly buy the new Circuit sampler when it comes out instead.

I recommend contacting support. They’re very helpful and responsive. They helped me get sorted when I first got my Digitone and there was a hardware problem.

1 Like