Model:Cycles Tone Machine: 2-operator FM ideas

This week I’ve been working on making pleasant, melodic sounds using the Model:Cycles Tone Machine. e.g. sounds that work for melodies/tunes.

On the Digitone I find I can get very nice sounds with 1:1 ratio but with the M:C it sounds a bit lacking in brightness so I tend to go for higher ratios - on a side note, some of the ratios that are close but not quite on a whole number sound very nice.

What are some good things to try on this machine?

Also, suppose I create a nice patch that works well for a tune, what are some good ways to change the timbre on a note by note basis that add variety but without making it sound overly disjointed?

1 Like

I like to duplicate a nice sound on the next track, pan hard l/r, then change one a little. Nice stereo effect.

As far as what to p-lock, I can’t think of what NOT to p-lock. It’s the best!

3 Likes

subtle modulation of sweep and shape is fun, heavy modulation of color can be cool, envelope LFO on Colour can make some really snappy sounds

def agree about ratios I almost always choose the ratio directly above or below the even ratios, adds a nice bit of grit and makes synthesis sound less predictable/consistent/adds some free movement

if you haven’t tried it try the lowest ratio possible on Color, if you dial it in right you can get a soft lead with vibrato, can be cool for basses too

2 Likes

This is an excellent post and I will be following this thread closely for ideas. Hoping many experienced Cycles users will chime in here. Here’s my two cents:

• Patience and expirimentation with the LFO will lead you to some great things
• There is magic inside this machine. Use it like a wizard do.

1 Like