Model:Cycles

Former lxr owner here, it’s cool but very much a kit synth. It’s not a refined experience and I haven’t heard of any firmware updates in a grip. Factory or third party.

1 Like

Thinking about it, the MC is fantastic value. I’m comparing it to part of my eurorack setup, its probably going to replace at least 2x Plaits, Turing machine, Tiptop quantizer, maths, and also will make a reasonable replacement for my MD which I miss a lot.

1 Like

Yea, starting to appreciate not ever building that bassimilus/dinkys/neuron drums rack I spec’d on modulargrid.

2 Likes

Yeah, compared to the price of eurorack percussion modules the M:C is a total steal. Heck, I spent more on just my Jomox kick module than the M:C! That said, it can be a lot of fun to do percussion inside eurorack but it gets crazy expensive fast. Don’t ask me how I know this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, never personally saw much point in dedicated Euro drum modules, for me it is more fun to make my own from other modules, but horses for courses, and they definitely can be convenient in a large modular setup like for performance and so on.

2 Likes

Yeah Eurorack is fun but if I’m honest with myself it’s not made any tracks for me, I spend most of my time noodling. Which is fine, but my goal is to actually put stuff out :slight_smile:

I’m going to sample the shit out of my setup and then probably sell it all before summer.

@Malarkyk Experienced the same here. Tons of cool noises, nothing ever got out ! Sold it all ! :slight_smile:

hahah. I hope you’re joking. USB C is so much more efficient.

I was thinking that, when I do have money for some eurorack stuff, I wanted to create a build specifically for creating samples in the DEEP end. Would that make more sense to have (a complex sample generator)?

When I started my rack, it was mostly drum stuff. At the time I didn’t have the synthesis chops to make percussion…it just didn’t really cross my mind. Now I do more of my perc from non perc specific modules and most of my perc modules are gone. If I just want a huge kick sound though, I still can’t make anything in my rack that I like as much as the Jomox :slight_smile:

How wild can the FM engines in the Model:Cycles get? Would you say it’s as diverse as a Basimilus Iteritas? (That module was great for sample fodder, not just drum/perc but also chords, believe it or not).

Soundseasy.com.au

Soundeasy.com.au

Looking out for my Aussie ppl. I’ll wait for a price drop. MS dropped in price in some places and I want something more stripped back than my MPC. Was just going to pick up a legacy MPC again but this has most of what I miss from the DT at less than half the price in AUD

1 Like

I have a Korg padKontrol for finger drumming. If I want to use it for finger drumming but without a computer, either of the Models lineup is the cheapest way to go, right? I can’t think of anything else. Not interested in an iPad because lack of knobs and all the fuss and audio interface stuff to deal with.

Hmmm, well I guess there is the UNO Drum for $249. Not sure how it sounds though but don’t like the matrix style of encoders. Prefer knob per function of Model lineup.

It’s crazy to think you can buy both Models a mono analog synth and a multi tracker audio recorder for less than a brand new AR.

Ignorance is bliss, cause once you get a taste of eurocrack you may never come back! :sob:

M:C sounds like it can produce a wide spectrum of sounds but I don’t think it reach as far as the Basimilus.

1 Like

I had a brief taste,

with an Atlantis and some 1U, in a fun little lunchbox.

Then through the iPad for FX. Sequenced by my A4.
Made a few delicious noodles, then went back to my Elektrons.

2 Likes

One of the very first modules I bought was a BIA. It was pretty neat and even as a total noob I was able to get some pretty cool sounds. There’s something about the quality of the distortions inherent to most Noise Eng stuff just wasn’t my cup of tea, so I sold it. I won’t be shocked if I get it again some day though :slight_smile:
I won’t know until I start digging in with my M:C next week, but from everything I’ve heard, it’s at least 3 BIA’s. Can’t wait to find out for myself!

1 Like
2 Likes