MODEL SAMPLES: Stupid Question / Quick Answers

Is it possible to choose a favourite folder in the pool ? I’m everytime in factory folder to change sample , I would like to choose my own kit in the Pool

Ok let’s see if you understand me :+1: I’m french ouch Thanks

Oh, second question ->
Do you know the way to record the retrigger button. I want to make some glitchy sounds on my drums.
If not I can use the scale mode to define the sequence to 2/1, but I can’t believe that we can’t use more the retrigger mode …

There isn’t a standard way to do this, but there is a workaround. Create a pattern to act as a template, then set each pad to a sample in the default folder you want. Then, whenever you create a new pattern, copy your template pattern to the new pattern first.

In Grid Record, hold the step you are placing and hit Retrig

In live recording, hold Retrig while hitting the pad you want to trigger

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I’m gonna to try that !

Right I’m a bit confused, I’ve got my M:S set up to pass midi thru and I’ve got both the midi port and USB ports outputting, but it seems only the midi out can act as a thru… is this the case? Because I’m trying to use the usb as a thru too, but it just wont work. Am I missing something here? The midi port is doing what it should, just not the USB.

That’s a nice idea :slight_smile:

From the manual

OUT/THRU sets if the MIDI OUT/THRU port should function as an OUT or THRU port.

Nothing about changing the behaviour of the USB port.

2 Likes

Yeah, just assumed it’d change their functionality in tandem.

When controlling an external synth via MIDI, what’s the best way to silence the track’s audio?

I’m other words, I only want to hear the external synth, not the sample on the track that is sending MIDI.

I can just set the volume or velocity to zero, but it seems like there should be a way to set a track to MIDI-only.

Nah, there’s not an option for a dedicated MIDI track on the Models. So turning down the volume is the most straightforward way to so it

Settings/config menu -> AUDIO -> TRK OUT and use the T1-T6 pads to toggle the tracks on or off.

2 Likes

This is what I wanted! I guess the difference between turning down the volume v. turning off the track audio is that the volume only affects the sequence while the track audio setting affects the whole project.

(Isn’t this pretty much equivalent to a mute mode, just a bit harder to access than people might want?)

Hi everyone - first post here after a couple months of reading and learning. I’m stuck on a problem that others have posted about, but I have yet to find a solution that will work for me.

I’m trying to have my Keystep -> M:S -> Synth arrangement allow me to Live Record notes played from the Keystep into M:S and be able to hear them through the synth.

If I set the M:S to MIDI Thru then notes played on the Keystep can only be heard on the synth if I choose a MIDI channel not assigned to a M:S track (ex MIDI CH8 on Keystep and synth), but of course I cannot live record the midi notes into the M:S sequencer this way.

If I set the M:S to MIDI OUT, T1 sending MIDI CH8 to same on synth, I can hear notes sent from the M:S trigger (T1)/chromatic keys/sequencer. However, even though the notes I play on the Keystep (sending MIDI CH1 to hit T1) are indicated on the trigger (T1 flashes when I hit note on Keystep), unfortunately the note is not heard on the synth. I have MOut selected on the track and I have the current firmware. I also tried setting T1 to receive on MIDI CH8 to see if there was a thru/out at the same time possibility there, but no joy. Is this just the way M:S works or is there a solution I am missing?

I really appreciate all the helpful info on this forum. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

First: It will never work with the general setting MIDI THRU on the M:C, but there is a sort of solution for Midi OUT … let me see if I can remember it.

Your controller keyboard needs to send midi to to AUTO channel, which will default to 10, but it’s configurable in settings.

You need to select the current track you want to play (with T1-T6 button)

Whichever track you’ve selected needs to have MOUT on and to be configured to the midi channel that the downstream synth will receive.

I’m fairly sure that if you’ve done all that, then you’re getting the best the M:S can do, for forwarding midi notes. But ping me if you have more questions (I may have remembered wrong).

EDIT: there may be a variation on this that does not use the auto channel. But the key thing is, notes go out on the channel selected for the track, not the channel you sending in from the keystep.

2 Likes

Yea, I think I remembered it right:

List of changes from OS 1.12 to 1.13

Tracks set to MOUT now also forwards the incoming note data on the AUTO channel from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is working beautifully now! I’ve already been loving the M:S but this really opens things up for me to take full advantage of the excellent sequencer. I’m actually running a Beatstep Pro between the M:S and my synths now allowing for MIDI to CV conversion - amazing how much I’m able to accomplish with this little machine. I really appreciate your help!

2 Likes

Hey there, I’m back with another question. Does saving a project save the pattern data and track settings within, or do you need to save the project, then save each pattern individually? For months I have just been saving at the project level and it has seemingly worked fine, but for several days all my changes have not been saved after a power cycle despite saving at the project level many times along the way. Even within pattern 1 of the project, my changes were not saved. I can live with reprogramming my parts on this project, but I’m now questioning the reliability of my Model:Samples going forward. I know backing up through Transfer might be a workaround/safety net, but that would mean any work done away from my computer is in danger of not being saved. If this is not a case of user error (I’m certain I saved 40 times yesterday), should I maybe backup and do a factory reset or something along those lines? Any advice would be appreciated.

Can’t offer any solutions but it doesn’t sound like the behaviour I’d expect.

1 Like

Ok, here’s one:

It’s probably a basic midi setting, but I’m not sure how to search for it. How do I set the Model:Samples so that when I unmute a track it ends abruptly, rather than playing the rest of the sample?

There’s no setting for that, I’m pretty sure. When you mute a track, you’re telling the sequencer to stop sending notes.

There may be a work around for it, I suppose, but I can’t figure one out.